This whiskey sour cocktail is full of apple and chai tea flavor! It’s a fall twist on this classic cocktail making it a great choice for holiday cocktail parties or any time you have a craving for that sweet tart cocktail flavor that so many people love!
Why We Love This Cocktail
- the sweet and tart flavor is to die for!
- they taste very fancy, but they are easy to make
- whiskey sours suit both guys and ladies tastes!
- great for a holiday party
What is a Whiskey Sour?
A whiskey sour is a classic cocktail made with citrus, sugar, spirits and often a touch of egg white. They have a sweet and sour flavor that make them such a sensory experience to drink!
Sours can be made with many different spirits like vodka or gin, but obviously a whiskey sour is made with whiskey.
Tools You Need to Make a Sour Cocktail
The only thing you really need is a good cocktail shaker and maybe a strainer. All cocktail shakers are not created equal! Here are a few of our favorites:
- crystal martini shaker – not only is this beautiful, it has a seal around the top so it seals nice and doesn’t leak when you shake it.
- insulated martini shaker – also seals well and will keep your drink icy cold!
- boston cocktail shaker – a shaker with some flair. This one has a silicone seal around the glass section to stop spills. You will need a strainer with this one too.
You will also need a beautiful glass to serve it in! Here’s three of our favorite options.
- crystal coupe glasses – for a more fancy occasion
- whisky glass – a traditional whiskey glass. Always a classic and a good choice if you are serving this cocktail to men.
- classic coupe glass – elegant and timeless. These are probably our favorite cocktail glasses.
Ingredients You Will Need
The ingredients for a whiskey sour are simple:
- lemon juice
- simple syrup
- egg white
This whisky sour also includes the apple and chai flavors from:
- spiced apple cider – reduced
- strong chai tea
Tips for Making This Cocktail
- when making the reduced apple cider, make at least 3 or 4 cups. Then store the extra in the fridge. It will keep for quite a while.
- make the chai tea double strong
- don’t skip the egg whites, they make the cocktail so silky and smooth
- when you shake the cocktail, shake it really good to get the egg white nice and frothy.
How to Make a Simple Syrup:
A simple syrup is just as easy to make as its name implies! There are just a few easy steps.
- add 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water.
- bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- simmer for 5 – 10 mins or until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened slightly. You want it to just coat the back of a spoon. You don’t want it too thick.
And that’s it! The simple syrup will keep in an airtight jar for a long time in the fridge so we make a bunch and keep it on hand.
Frequently Asked Questions
How strong is a whiskey sour?
You can definitely taste the whiskey in this cocktail and there isn’t a lot of mix so a whiskey sour is a stronger cocktail, but the flavor is so nice that you won’t feel like its off puttinly strong.
What whiskey is best for a whiskey sour?
You can use whatever whiskey you like best. We used a Kentucky maple whiskey for ours, but any whiskey will do. Maybe stay away from flavored ones that don’t have the same flavor profile as apple cider or chai tea.
Why is there egg whites in a whiskey sour?
The egg white is there to give the cocktail a nice frothy top and a silky smooth finish. Its delicious! It is optional, but we think this cocktail is WAY better with it.
How do you froth egg whites for cocktails?
The egg whites get frothed from being shaken in the cocktail shaker with ice. If you want them to get really frothy, you could also add a whisk ball to your cocktail shaker!
Is it safe to use egg whites in cocktails?
Yes, you only use a small amount and salmonella is not as much of a concern with eggs these days as it used to be. If you are worried about using raw eggs in your cocktail then just leave it out. The cocktail will still taste good.
What can I use instead of egg whites in cocktails?
You can try aquafaba. This is a vegan alternative to egg whites and it will also make your drink frothy. We haven’t tried it though!
Aquafaba is the juice from a can of chick peas.
Tips for Serving Apple Whiskey Sours to a Crowd
These cocktails are great for Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday parties, however, if you are planning to serve these to guests, you have to plan a head a little.
- make a big batch of reduced apple cider
- make a big batch of strong chai tea
- make a big batch of simple syrup
- squeeze a bunch of lemons before hand
- use the egg whites from a carton, don’t crack an egg each time you want to make a cocktail
Store all of this in the fridge until you are ready to start making cocktails.
Better yet, write the recipe on a cute card and place all the ingredients on a bar cart with the recipe card. Make the first whiskey sour for each guest and then show them how to make their own for the second!
Other Sour Cocktail Recipes You Might Like
- gin sour with tea and vanilla infused gin
- rose infused lemon drop martini
- raspberry & limoncello vodka sour
- elderflower, peach and lavender gin sour
- vanilla & meyer lemon martin
Other Holiday Cocktails You Might Enjoy
- holiday apple cider moscow mule
- homemade eggnog
- holiday cranberry mimosa
- hot buttered rum with apple cider
If you’ve tried this apple whiskey sour recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
We love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
Apple Chai Whiskey Sour
MAKE THE MIXES
- Make some strong chai tea. Set it aside to cool.
- Add a couple cups of apple cider to a small pot and bring it to a simmer over med-low heat on the stove. Cook until its reduced by half. Remove from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Make simple syrup by adding equal parts sugar and water to a small pot. Bring it to a simmer over med-low heat and cook for 5 – 10 mins till the sugar dissolves and the mixture has thickened slightly.
MAKE THE COCKTAIL
- Add some ice to a cocktail shaker. Add all the ingredients for the cocktail into the shaker. Shake it really well!
- Using a strainer, pour the cocktail into a glass. Grate some fresh lemon zest on top if you like and serve.