In keeping with the current theme of the world at the moment, we wanted to give you a healthier alternative to a old favorite. Deviled Eggs. Hard boiled eggs are a favorite of fitness enthusiasts or anyone wanting a quick grab and go healthy snack and I love to find them as party appetizers in the form of deviled eggs because they taste great and I can eat them relatively guilt free. So how can you make deviled eggs even more healthy you ask? Easy!
Make deviled eggs with creamy, nutrient rich avocado, a kick of heat from a jalapeno and top them off with a sprinkle of crispy bacon. These are way more flavorful than the original and packed full of healthy fats and fiber. I happen to love the green color too. I think its fun, and it will certainly spark some conversation!
We have to talk about hard boiled eggs for a second. How many times have you started peeling an egg only to have the whites stick to the shell, have an egg shell peel off in the smallest little pieces, or have some other annoying mishap from peeling eggs? I have! Many, many, many times… Grrrrr. So I started researching. I had heard fresh eggs are best, fresh eggs are the worst. Start with cold water, put the eggs into boiling water. Bla, bla, bla… So I have been trying out different ways to come up with the way that works best. And here it is:
Drop your eggs into already boiling water. Gently. Let them cook for 6 mins for soft boiled eggs and 10 mins for hard.
Its that simple. And it doesn’t work perfect every time, but 90% of the time, it works every time! 🙂 That’s good enough for me. And if you don’t want to take my word for it, check out some scientific proof on Serious Eats.
We put the filling mixture into a bag and piped it into the egg shells to make them a little fancy. We used a #1 tip and a regular old icing bag. You can also just scoop the filling in with a spoon. No biggie.
Avocado, Jalapeno & Bacon Deviled Eggs & the Hard Boiled Egg Trick
- 5 hardboiled eggs
- 1 avocado
- 2 slices of bacon , diced and cooked
- 1/2 jalapeño , minced
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt (to tastes)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cajun spice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- sprinkle of paprika
- Drop your eggs into a medium sized pot of boiling water. Cook for 10 mins and cool them completely by running cold water over them. Peel and slice them in half.
- Scoop the yolks of the eggs into a little bowl. Slice your avocado in half and discard the pit. Scoop the flesh into the same bowl as the yolks. Add the salt, pepper, lemon, cajun spice, and jalapeno. Mix the filling until its nice and smooth and well combined.
- Scoop the filling into a piping bag with a #1 tip and pipe the filling into each of the eggs. Sprinkle each egg with a little bacon and paprika.