Grilled pizza tastes amazing and is SO easy to make on the BBQ. Perfect for weeknight meals, casual get togethers, and especially camping!
Last weekend Debbie and I went camping with our men and my daughter and her friend. And our puppies of course! We had a fabulous weekend in Tulameen, BC which is right outside of Princeton.
We love it there for a number of reasons. There is no cell service, so there are no outside interruptions to our fun and the kids stay off their phones all weekend! They have the best quading trails with amazing views all over the mountains on either side of the little town. You can go for hours and we do! You can also quad through the streets of the town. I haven’t been anywhere else in Canada where that’s allowed! There is a lake right at the edge of the little town so after a day of quading in the dusty mountains, you can quad down to the lake and have a dip. Whats better than that? Maybe a boat ride???!!! Next year…
To top it all of, we have great people to visit. Family and friends live up there and its definitely one of the things that keeps us coming back. We sometimes pull our 5th wheels to Kevin’s Aunt and Uncles place, but there is also a little campsite nearby right on the river where we were this time. Check out our set up.
We had one of the best days ever on Saturday. Debbie and I packed a lunch for us all and we climbed on the quads and went for a ride with John, Rick and Wendy. We quaded through the mountains for at least 3 hours which was long enough to get good and dusty! Mark and Debbie and a couple others spotted a big black bear running through a wood lot! I missed it. 🙁 When we got to one of the look out points lower down the mountain we discovered it was smoking hot and decided to go home, get our swimming gear, our puppies and head to the lake! Man did that ever feel refreshing!
Those are our puppies, Vegas (blonde) and Keira (black) in the back of the side-by-side. Its too bad you cant see them better. They were so cute and they loved riding in the back!
Debbie and I had planned something fun for dinner. Grilled pizza with Debbie’s amazing homemade tomato sauce. We had been planning grilled pizza for a few days and we were looking forward to them in the worst way. They did not disappoint! They were so tasty and easy! You could even do grilled pizza if you were camping in a tent as long as you have a bbq. You can pre-cook the pizza crusts before hand to make it even easier while camping.
Debbie pre-made her Tomato sauce so all we had to do was heat it up. I pre-made the pizza dough so we just rolled out the pizzas, threw them on the bbq to cook the crusts, just 2 mins on each side, then everyone topped their grilled pizza with the homemade tomato sauce, their favorite toppings and we cooked them on indirect heat right on the bbq and served them with a beer 🙂
Honestly, these are so freeking good! And such an easy dinner that these are going to be added to our usual list of camping meals. Check out Debbies shiny new bbq! Its just a little one for camping and perfect for grilled pizza. Here is a link to a similar BBQ as unfortunately, the one she has is not available anymore.
Debbies homemade tomato sauce makes these! Its so flavorful, thick and tangy that I could just eat a bowl of it for dinner and be satisfied. It has quite a bit of garlic in it but its not overpowering at all. Debbie makes everything with a lot of garlic 😉 and on Saturday she told us that “Garlic is my middle name”. Debbie Garlic Fraser. Nice ring to it don’t u think? Lol! See all that garlic?
Obviously, you don’t have to be camping to make grilled pizza, they would be perfect for a late summer deck bbq or even a weeknight meal for your family. Simple and everyone can choose their own toppings so it solves the problem of picky eaters too. Who doesn’t like pizza? Especially easy grilled pizza.
I loved these so much I had a craving for one when I got home. I couldn’t decide what toppings I wanted so I made one half pepperoni and the other half tomato and boccocini with basil. Again, so good! Why would you ever order out when you can make these so easily at home?
Other Flatbread and Pizza Recipes You Might Like
- Greek chicken flatbread with homemade tzatziki
- The BEST strawberry pizza
- Short rib flatbread with potato and bacon
If you’ve tried this strawberry pizza recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
We love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
Camping Food: Grilled Pizza with Homemade Garlic Tomato SaucePrint Pin Rate
FOR THE DOUGH
FOR THE SAUCE
- Mozzarella cheese (or Boccicini)
- The list is endless....
FOR THE DOUGH
- Take 1 cup water and add to your mixer. Add honey, olive oil and yeast and then set aside for 5 mins to activate yeast.
- Add flour and salt to a bowl and stir.
- Add the flour to the yeast mixture and kneed in the mixer till forms a soft ball then pour onto counter and knead till dough is smooth 5-10 mins. You could also use your mixer to knead the dough for about 4 - 5 mins. Set in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough. Cut in half for 2 large thicker pizzas or in 5 piece for 5 thin crust individual pizzas. Sprinkle the counter with cornmeal and roll till desired thickness. (We like cornmeal on both sides of our pizza.)
- Heat the bbq on high then when its hot, turn to low before placing the pizza on the grill. They should only take a few minutes and when u have nice grill marks, flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds.
FOR THE SAUCE
- While your dough is rising, make the sauce. Chop the onions and garlic into chunky pieces. Throw into a pan with the olive oil and sauté till almost tender. Then add the tomatoes, spices and salt and pepper. Simmer till most of the liquid is out and the sauce had thickened. Cool slightly and start making your pizza.
FOR THE PIZZA
- Take the cooked shells off the grill. Add the sauce and your pizza toppings. We like a little cheese, then toppings and then more cheese!
- Turn 2 burner to med heat and turn 2 burners off completely.
- Place the pizzas on the side with no direct heat and close the lid to create an oven. Cook till cheese is nicely melted.