This one is for all you carb conscious folks out there and also for all of you who love delicious food! Big and meaty Portobello’s stuffed full of thinly sliced steak sautéed with onions, peppers and jalapeños and then topped with creamy cheese sauce and baked till bubbling. Paired with a fresh green salad, this dish would make a perfect weekend lunch or dinner with a few friends. Best served with a bottle of wine or one of our Sangria’s! Yes?
This marinade for the steak is freeking awesome. You might think its a little weird with the cornstarch and egg in the marinade but, it’s a little trick I learned a while back of how to make your stirfry meat really tender. Just like the stirfrys at a Chinese restaurant. For some reason or another, when coated with the cornstarch, egg and vinegar, meat will stay nice and juicy and tender. It’s and old Chinese secret… 😉
We had these for dinner the other day and needless to say, everyone loved them. I mean, just look at that cheese! And I didn’t even feel guilty. Yes, there’s a little cheese, but a little cheese sauce goes a long way and there’s so much goodness underneath that it doesn’t leave you feeling heavy or crappy. You have to love comfort food like that.
The next day, Debbie and I sliced up the leftovers, mushrooms, meat and all, and made sandwiches for our men to take snowmobiling that weekend. They both have a little metal lunch container that hooks onto their sleds engine so it heats whatever is inside and makes for a hot lunch on the mountain. When they got home, they told us they had had a nice delicious surprise for lunch since they were expecting just regular old sandwiches. They raved about it so much that I think it’s safe to say that this recipe is a win all around.
Cheesesteak Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
- STEAK MARINADE
- 850 g Beef sirloin tip , sliced very thin (or about 2 lbs)
- 1 heaping tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp worchestershir
- 1 tbsp montreal steak spice
- 1 tsp herbs de provinceTHE FILLING
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno , diced
- 2 green peppers , julienned (we used some orange pepper since one of my green ones was rotting)THE CHEESE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cup aged cheddar
- 1 cup cream cheeseTO ASSEMBLE
- 6 portobello mushrooms
- 3/4 -1 cup meat and veggie mixture for each portobello
- 1/4 cup cheese mixture for each
- chives to garnish
- Marinate the steak. Slice the steak as thinly as you can, making sure you cut against the grain. Add the steak to a large bowl. Add the cornstarch, egg white, vinegar, worchestershir, montreal steak spice and herbs de province. Mix very well till all the beef is coated. Set aside for at least 30 mins.
- Just before you are ready to cook the veggies and meat, make the cheese sauce. Add the butter and flour to a small pot over medium-low heat. Stir till the butter is melted and the flour is all mixed in. Cook the butter and flour for two mins but be careful that it doesn't get too brown. Slowly add the milk bit by bit, stirring to combine. Then add the cream cheese, stir till its melted. Then add the grated cheese and stir until that is melted as well. The cheese sauce should be thick and very cheesy. Take it off the heat, put a lid on it and set aside. Try not to eat it all before you get the meat cooked 🙂
- When you are ready to cook, heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the olive oil, chopped onion, salt, garlic and jalapeno. Saute until the onions are translucent. Add the peppers and stir for a minute or two.
- Pour veggies into a large bowl.
- Drain the meat of any liquid and add it to the same skillet. Stir fry it until all the pieces are just cooked through. Do not overcook. Add the veggies back to the pan and mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Turn your oven to 350 degrees. Add the portobello mushrooms to the pan and bake them for about 8 mins or so. Just so they start to get warmed through.
- Pull them out of the oven and pile each one with the steak mixture. Top with the cheese and throw them back in the oven. Bake for about 10 mins or until the cheese starts to get bubbly. If you like, turn your oven on broil for a quick min to brown the cheese if it hasn't browned already. Be careful not to burn it.
- Pull them out of the oven, top with chives if you wish and serve immediately.