These pineapple and coconut rum drinks are like summer in a glass!
Close your eyes and picture the hot sun beating down on your face, blue green water lapping up on the shore and the warm sand between your toes. Now take a sip and this coconut rum and pineapple cocktail will take you there…
Well not really, but it sure tastes like the tropics!
If you have a beach themed party this summer, this is your drink! We’ve included a big batch recipe for your pool party below!
Ingredients for Pineapple & Coconut Rum Drinks
The ingredients in these coconut rum drinks are pretty simple:
- white rum
- coconut flavored malibu rum
- pineapple juice
- coconut water
- lime juice
HERE’S A TIP: Definitely do not leave out the lime in this recipe and if you can find them, use key limes. I love the flavor of key limes but they can be tough to find…
Best Coconut Rum for these Drinks
We went with Malibu Coconut rum for these drinks, but there are many different kinds of coconut rum. I haven’t tried very many of them, but if you like, give another one a try. Let us know which your favorite is in the comments below!
Best Coconut Water to Use in These Cocktails
We decided to have some fun making these coconut pineapple cocktails so we cracked open a real coconut and used the juice to make these drinks. You cant get any fresher than that, can you?
Cracking it open was fun, but we used a hammer and it was a challenge and try to save the coconut water.
Debbie says we cheated because we didn’t do it like the people on survivor.
Years ago my family lived in Haiti and my parents hired a Haitian man named Jeno to take care of our yard. He used to run/climb up a coconut tree while my brother and I watched fascinated that he could get up there so quick!
Have you ever tried to climb a coconut tree? Its freeking hard!
You don’t have to go to the extremes we did for coconut juice. They sell it at most grocery stores pre-packaged nowadays which is probably a good idea if you plan on having a few of these. Cracking open coconuts with a large knife might not be the best idea then. Right? 😉
However, if you wanted to have a little fun and use a real coconut, look for young green coconuts and get your hands on this little coconut opening tool to make your life a lot easier!
The brands of coconut water we like are:
- Harmless Coconut Water – this is raw coconut water, not pasteurized, and from young coconuts which is exactly what you want.
- Sparkling Coconut Water – if you want to add a little more sparkle to your drink, try using sparkling coconut water!
How to Make These Pineapple & Coconut Rum Drinks
Not only are these rum drinks absolutely delicious and refreshing, they are also soooo easy to make!
- If you are using real coconut, crack that sucker open now and gather up the juice. If you are not, then just take your coconut water out of the fridge… 🙂
- Fill a tall glass with ice. First add the white rum (1 1/2 oz) and Malibu Rum (1/2 oz).
- Next add the coconut water (1 oz), pineapple juice (3 oz) and squeeze in the lime juice (1 tbsp). Give it a good stir.
- Top it off with club soda (about 2 – 3 oz) and serve!
See! Really freeking easy.
Make a Pitcher of Coconut Rum Drinks
So you want to make a bunch of these at once? I don’t blame you. You are going to want more than one… Plus if you are making cocktails for friends, its best to make a bunch at once.
Here’s a quick and dirty recipe for a pitcher of these rum drinks:
- 1 cup white rum
- 1/3 cup Malibu Coconut rum
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut water
- 1 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 5 tbsp lime juice
Mix the above ingredients in a pitcher. Then when you pour the drinks over ice, top with club soda.
This pitcher recipe will make approximately 5 cocktails.
This is also a GREAT way to make cocktails ahead of time. Mix up a pitcher or two and store in the fridge so you are ready even before guests come over!
Better yet, triple or quadruple the above recipe and serve it in a big glass container with a dispenser so your guests can help themselves. Just keep the ice and the club soda in an ice bucket beside the container.
These would work great for serving a large batch of these:
Variations for these Coconut Rum and Pineapple Cocktails
Debbie is really loving this coconut tequila in her cocktails lately and that would work here as well!
You could also possibly exchange the coconut rum for pineapple rum. You also could use pineapple or coconut vodka in a pinch.
Feel free to exchange the white rum for dark rum too. I happen to love dark rum over white because it has so much more flavor, however it will make the cocktails a slightly different color.
And as mentioned above, try sparkling coconut water for a little more bubble in your cocktail!
Enjoy a little taste of the Caribbean with these Coconut Pineapple Rum Drinks… Yum!
Other Rum Drinks You Might Like
- planters punch cocktail
- dark and stormy cocktail
- spiked citrus ice tea slush with rum & pineapple
- blood orange mojito
- cucumber mojito
Coconut Pineapple Rum Drink
- If you are using real coconut, crack that sucker open now and gather up the juice. If you are not, then just take your coconut water out of the fridge... 🙂
- Fill a glass with ice. First add the rum and malibu. Next add the coconut water, pineapple juice and squeeze in the lime juice. Give it a good stir.
- Top it off with club soda and serve!