This fried green tomato BLT is made with buttery toasted bread, smoky bacon, crisp lettuce, juicy fried green tomatoes, and a zesty balsamic garlic mayo.
Last year we shared our Fried Green Tomato recipe. It was also the first time I had tried them, but Debbie had been eating them for years. She was totally holding out on me!
Now when summer came around I couldn’t wait to cook up a batch or two and O.M.G. were they ever worth the wait. Soooo good! Luckily Debbie had a couple of green tomatoes handy because neither of us are growing any this year.
I have no where to put a garden this year. Everywhere I could, is under construction. Debbie has no excuse. In my opinion, lol. I have a tiny little tomato plant, but its not producing enough to keep us full of green tomatoes this summer. So we thoroughly enjoyed these ones.
Back to the fried green tomato BLT… When you have a gorgeous tomato, its pretty much a given that you have to make a BLT. So when you have delicious fried green tomatoes, you make a fried green tomato BLT. Yes?
Its got all your classic BLT flavors with the smoky and salty bacon and the crisp, refreshing lettuce, but this sandwich also has an extra layer of crispiness with the buttery fried green tomatoes! Its so so good!
We love our fried green tomatoes with a balsamic reduction so we made a simple but flavorful sauce for our fried green tomato BLT with balsamic reduction, fresh grated garlic, and mayo. Its the perfect pairing for this sandwich.
Other Sandwich Recipes You Might Like:
Fried Green Tomato BLT
BALSAMIC GARLIC MAYO
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 clove garlic , grated or minced finely
- 2 tbsp balsamic reduction
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 pieces bread (we like a marble rye)
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 1 handfull micro greens
- 2 pieces cooked bacon
- 1 tbsp balsamic mayo
- 3 slices fried green tomatoes
MAKE THE MAYO
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
GET YOUR INGREDIENTS READY
- Cook your bacon, wash the lettuce, get out the micro greens, slice your bread.
MAKE THE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- Get out three bowls. In the first, crack the eggs and add milk and beat together. In the second bowl add the flour. In the last bowl add the panko crumbs, cheese, and seasonings.
- Dip each of the tomato slices in the flour first and coat evenly then dip into the egg mixture evenly and lastly into the panko crumb. Place on a plate and repeat for all the sliced tomatoes.
- Heat a large skillet pan to med high and add butter and oil enough to cover the bottom completely to get the crumbs coated so they brown nicely.
- Add the tomatoes. When the tomatoes are nicely browned on one side flip and add a little more oil and butter mixture till the other side is nicely brown. Remove with a flipper and set aside.
MAKE YOUR SANDWICHES
- You can either toast your bread and then butter it, or butter it on the outside pieces and grill in a hot pan for a few mins on each side. We love it done in a pan because it gets all crispy and delicious because of the butter.
- Then put it all together. Add the balsamic mayo to both pieces of bread and then layer the insides on top.
- We like bread, mayo, lettuce, green tomato, bacon, micro greens, mayo, bread. But you can do it however your little heart desires 🙂 Enjoy!