Meatloaf is under-appreciated and it gets a bad rap. I think its largely to do with people not wanting to think of meat as a loaf. Its one of those old school dinners that seems so retro, but in spite of its reputation, everyone that eats it, still loves it today! Especially when you eat with with creamy mashed potatoes… Mmmmm. I love how Debbie served the mashed potatoes all swirled up on this meatloaf!
Ok so when I was thinking of writing a post about meatloaf I was kind of drawing a blank. Debbie said to find some fun facts so we looked. I hate to break it to you, there is nothing much fun about meatloaf. Unless of course you are using it in a food fight and then I imagine, it would be a ton of fun. However, while meatloaf itself isnt very much fun, these are certainly funny:
Raaaaarrrrr. He has anger issues.
Back to the recipe… When I make meatloaf, its sometimes because I want a hamburger, but I still want to be healthy. With meatloaf, I can add tons of vegetables, a little cheese if I want, and I don’t need a bun for it to be super satisfying. Meatloaf is the definition of classic comfort food. Your basic but not always so basic, meat and potatoes. Its also so versatile! You can pretty much throw whatever you want into it and its going to taste good.
This meatloaf is made in a skillet so that the bottom and the sides get nice and crispy. The crispy parts are the best! I would just eat all the outsides and leave the insides if I could get away with it…lol. But you dont have to cook it in a skillet. Cook it however you want it! Maybe like this (from Just Dip it in Chocolate):
Good Ole Meatloaf
- 2.3 lbs Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 cup Carrots grated
- 1 cup Zucchini grated
- 2 cups Mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup milk or coconut milk
- 2 cups Swiss Cheese cubed (my favorite is Gruyere) or a little less if you want
- 3 - 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Seasoning Salt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, add your oatmeal and milk and let it sit for 15 mins.
- In a bigger bowl add your beef, onion, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, cheese, garlic, milk mixture, spices, and mix it well.
- Heat up a skillet or cast iron pan on medium heat.
- Place the whole lot into your pan and cook for about 5 - 10 mins. This will help you get a nice crust on the bottom. If you dont like or care about a crispier bottom, just skip this step and start it off in the oven.
- Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 mins. Or 1 hour if you didnt start it on the stove.
- To check if its done, cut into the meatloaf a little to make sure its not pink.
Recipe NotesTo make the mashed potatoes like the picture above, Debbie put her potatoes into a plastic bag and cut the corner off. Then she piped the swirls of potatoes on top of the meatloaf. I love how this looks!