If you are in need of a special brunch cocktail this weekend we’ve got you covered with this Grapefruit Mimosa. Debbie and I love our mimosas. They are pretty much our cocktail of choice for any brunch occasion, especially when camping and this mimosa is our new favorite. I’m not really sure how were ever going to top it, actually. It’s that good! Fresh squeezed grapefruit juice mixed with grapefruit rum and rosemary infused simple syrup are frozen to create a sorbet that is spooned into glasses and topped with sparkling wine. It’s sweet, tart, earthy and dangerously easy to drink!
When you make this grapefruit mimosa. Make lots!
As we were thinking about this post we were wondering if we should call this cocktail a mimosa or a bellini. You might be wondering as well 🙂 Please tell me what we did before we had google? Well good-ole google told me that the difference between a bellini and a mimosa is that a Mimosa is traditionally made with citrusy orange juice with French origins. A Bellini is made with peach puree and was created in Italy.
So since this grapefruit mimosa is citrucy, we went with mimosa. But I’m pretty sure you could also call this a bellini and no one would bat an eye.
I have a bit of an announcement! After 4 1/2 months, and a shit load of hard work, Kevin and I are selling our house. We have our first open house this weekend! It’s exciting and a little stressful, but we are moving on to bigger and better. We bought 2 acres of untouched land with big beautiful trees on Sumas mountain (in Abbotsford, BC). Some of the trees are so big that my daughter Jessica and I couldn’t touch hands when we wrapped our arms around them! We’re going to build a new house there and I can’t wait!
The sun is supposed to show its bright shiny face this weekend at some point! Make yourself one (or two) of these Grapefruit Mimosas and enjoy the sun if it shows its face to you too 🙂
Grapefruit Mimosas with Rosemary
- SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 large sprigs rosemaryFOR THE SORBET
- 2 1/2 cups fresh grapefruit juice (about 3 big ones, juiced)
- 1 cup grapefruit rum (we used Captain Morgans)
- 3/4 cup rosemary simple syrupFOR THE BELLINI
- 1/4 cup grapefruit sorbet
- top with sparkling wine
- Make the simple syrup. In a small pot on medium heat, bring the sugar, water and rosemary mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 30 mins or so until it gets thicker and syrupy.
- Juice the grapefruits until you get 2 1/2 cups. Strain the juice. You can add a little pulp in if you want to, but its best to strain at least most of it. Add the rum and simple syrup. Stir well. Pour into a container and place in the freezer. Freeze until solid.
- When the sorbet is ready, scoop 3 to 4 tbsps in each glass and top with sparkling wine or champagne.