This sweet and fruity grapefruit mint julep is brought to you by our new friends at Drinkware Essentials. They have the most kick ass copper mugs that we have had the pleasure of sipping out of.
The Kentucky Derby a.k.a the fastest two minutes in sports is coming up soon! In just a couple weeks, ladies will be putting on their wide brimmed hats, bourbon sales will be off the charts and over 120,000 mint juleps will be sold to Kentucky Derby spectators. In honor of the event we’ve created a grapefruit mint julep version that you are going to have to try. Its still got that traditional mint and lime flavor, but it also has a sweet citrusy twist.
This take on the classic mint julep has fresh grapefruit juice mixed with good ole bourbon that has been muddled with mint leaves and mint infused simple syrup all poured over a heaping cup of crushed ice. Its sweet, citrusy, and minty. Delish!
Mint Julep’s are traditionally served in a silver or copper cup and while these copper cups we are using are not the same shape as the traditional cups, they certainly do the trick. And arguably better, since they are a bit bigger which means they hold more cocktail which means you get to drink more and you don’t have to make as many. This is a win win when you are the appointed cocktail maker. Anyone with me?
These copper mugs are pretty sweet. We got them from Drinkware Essentials who were nice enough to send us out a couple mugs to try. They are 100% copper, not copper plated, so they have a nice weight to them. We love a lot of things about these mugs:
- They are hand hammered! By a real person. Unheard of these days, but that says a lot about the quality of these babies.
- They have three different mugs at the moment. The traditional rounded hammered mug, a rounded smooth mug (not hammered) and finally, the coolest ever and unique to Drinkware Essentials, straight sided hammered mug. This straight sided beauty has actually been their best seller since it was released and is our personal favorite.
- They have a built in thumb rest! I think this is my favorite feature. Your thumb just naturally lays on the rest and it makes holding the mug really comfortable cuz it takes the pressure off the inside of your hand. Way nicer than just a loop or a pointy handle like on other copper mugs I have seen.
- These mugs keep your drinks freeking cold for a long time!
Debbie and I can’t wait to use these mugs in the summer time around the pool. Not only do they keep your drinks icy cold (which you can even see from the cold condensation on the outside of the mug) but they wont break, which makes them safe for hot tubs and swimming pools. They will also be perfect for camping on hot summer nights around the fire.
If you would have to have your own copper mugs, first of all, I don’t blame you, and second, Drinkwear Essentials has been kind enough to offer our readers 15% off. Follow this link to get your discount.
When your new mugs arive, make sure to put this slightly sweet and fruity mint julep variation in your mug. Stat!
Grapefruit Mint Julep
- MINT SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- couple handfuls of mint sprigsFOR THE JULEP
- 4 oz bourbon
- 6 oz grapefruit juice
- 1/2 lime
- 1 oz mint infused syrup
- 10 mint leaves
- lots of crushed ice
Make the simple syrup. Add the sugar, water and mint to a medium pot. Head the pot on medium heat until it simmers. Simmer the mixture on low until the liquid becomes syrupy and the mint flavor has become infused. This will probably take about 15 - 20 mins for a nicely infused syrup. Let the mint sit in the syrup as it cools. Remove the mint from the syrup and chuck it. Keep the syrup in an airtight jar until you are ready to use it.
Make the julep. Fill 2 glasses with crushed ice to the very top and overflowing even. Add the bourbon and mint to a cocktail shaker and muddle it well. Add the grapefruit juice, lime and mint infused syrup. Shake well and pour over the ice in the glasses. Garnish with a sprig of mint.