Rose syrup made with dried rose blossoms is so easy to make and can add some delicious floral flavor to cocktails and other drinks.
We absolutely love it especially in our rose lemon drop martini!
This rose syrup is just a basic simple syrup but just with added rose blossoms. Its sweet and gives an excellent floral flavor and fragrance to cocktails.
How to Make Rose Syrup
A simple syrup is made with equal parts water and sugar and then cooked down until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
Rose syrup is so easy to make! There are just a few easy steps.
- add 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water.
- add 1/2 cup of dried rose blossoms.
- bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- simmer for about 10 mins or until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened slightly. You want it to just coat the back of a spoon. You don’t want it too thick.
- strain the flowers out of the syrup and store your simple rose syrup in an airtight container in the fridge.
And that’s it! The rose simple syrup will keep in an airtight jar for a little while in the fridge so we make a bunch and keep it on hand.
Variations on the Amount of Dried Rose Petals
The amount of rose blossoms in our recipe creates a rose simple syrup that tastes and smells like roses, which is great for cocktails or drinks with lighter competing flavors.
If you are making a cocktail that has stronger flavors, you may want to increase the amount of blossoms you use in your rose syrup.
We have made this rose simple syrup before with as much as 1 cup of rose blossoms and it turned out lovely as well.
How long can rose simple syrup stay in the fridge?
Left too long any kind of simple syrup can get moldy in the fridge, so only make quantities that you’re likely to use within a reasonable time frame. Stored in the refrigerator most simple syrups should last at least 1 month, but lots of ours have lasted up to 6 months.
If you see mold or smell anything funny, chuck it out. If it looks good and it smells good, its probably good to go.
Where to Find Dried Rose Petals
You can find dried rose blossoms at some health food stores. That’s where we found ours. You can also dry your own roses! Or you can easily order some off Amazon here:
- dried organic rose blossoms – which ever ones you buy, make sure they are organic as you don’t want to be making your simple syrup with roses sprayed with pesticides.
Rose Syrup vs Rose Water
These are different in that rose syrup is made with sugar and rose water is not. Rose water is almost always clear instead of colored like rose petals and is used for its aroma rather than its taste.
Ways to Use This Syrup:
- make our delicious Rose Lemon Drop Martini
- add it to some lemonade and then make our Whiskey Lemonade!
- drizzle over crepes or waffles
- add it to any drink you want to sweeten for a little extra flavor
- use it to sweeten up sangria
- add a little more floral flavor to our hibiscus lemonade sangria!
- add it to a little champagne for a rose flavored mimosa
- add it to sparking water for a virgin drink
If you’ve tried this simple rose syrup recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
We love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
How to Make a Simple Rose Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dried rose blossoms
- Add the sugar, water and rose blossoms to a small pot. Heat over medium heat until the mixture starts to simmer. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 10 mins until the mixture starts to thicken and it can coat the back of a spoon.
- Let the mixture sit for a while and cool down on its own. When its cool, strain the simple syrup and discard the rose blossoms. Store the rose simple syrup in a container in the fridge until you are ready to use it.