Instant pot sweet potatoes are a incredibly easy, healthy, colorful and delicious addition to any holiday meal or any meal for that matter.
Have you got an instant pot yet? Debbie and I just got one each and we are in love!
I now use my instant pot for amazing and quick bone both, rice, regular mashed potatoes and now easy mashed sweet potatoes too. There are many more things that are going to come out of my instant pot, but so far so good.
Sweet potatoes are a staple of the holiday dinner table, whether it be for thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter. Truth be told, I love sweet potatoes any time of the year. They are so delicious and I love the color on my dinner table and plate. Instant pot sweet potatoes are even better because they are so damn easy and quick! So awesome for those times when you have a big gathering of people for dinner and you have a million dishes all going at once.
Instant pot sweet potatoes take 6 mins to cook. That’s right. I said 6 mins!
The job is done by peeling the sweet potatoes, putting them in the instant pot, add a little water and salt and set it to 6 mins. That’s it. Can it get any easier?
We recommend that you place the sweet potatoes on top of the rack that comes with your instant pot and cut the potatoes into large chunks rather than small ones. Then the sweet potatoes don’t get submerged in the water and they won’t get soupy when you mash them. That happened to me once and I had to cook them on the “saute” mode in the instant pot for a while to get the excess water out. Which you can do, but its time consuming and best to start out without the water issue if possible 🙂
Now arguably these sweet potatoes are pretty plain, but I for one, love the taste of sweet potatoes, butter and salt. But if you like yours with a little or a lot more flavor, here’s some ideas to get you started:
- serve them with our compound honey cinnamon butter. Like we did! Its to die for….!
- add some onions, garlic and sage to the instant pot when you are cooking the sweet potatoes and then mash it in. You can’t beat the scent when you open the lid. So savory and yum!
- add the sweet potato mash to your favorite oven proof serving dish, add a layer of brown sugar on top and broil them in the oven till the sugar layer gets bubbly.
- add butter and maple syrup to them when you are mashing.
- throw in a big knob of boursin cheese when you are mashing and have creamy, melt in your mouth sweet potatoes
- sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and chili powder or chili flakes when mashing for a sweet and spicy dish
You get the picture. Flavor them how you like, or just eat em plain with butter!
I had a little help with my photo shoot from my super adorable new kitten, Cider. Shes wild and crazy and a luvbug all at the same time and apparently she likes sweet potatoes. 🙂 Well actually all my animals were wandering around in and out of my legs and under the table and this little one climbed me a couple times to sit on my shoulder. They are too cute and sweet. I love them all! The Zoo from left to right: Cider, Vegas, and Luna. We are just missing Debbie’s dogs Keira and Coco. Ill have to add pictures later. 🙂
What you need to make these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- An instant pot! – we like the 8 quart version since we like to make a lot of bone broths and soups and the 8 quart works the best for that. But there are many models. Choose the one that works best for you 🙂 This is the one that we both have and love.
- A Steamer for your instant pot – we don’t have one of these. Yet… This would solve the water problem too
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- 3 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cut into big chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water or chicken broth
- butter or honey cinnamon butter
Peel your sweet potatoes. Place them in the instant pot bowl along with the salt and water or chicken broth
Fasten the lid tight and press the manual button on your instant pot and select 5 mins. Go about fixing the rest of your dinner.
When the 5 mins is up, let the steam out of the instant pot right away. I like to put a cloth over the steam hole so the steam doesn't go crazy. Open up the lid and take out the instant pot bowl. Strain the sweet potatoes really well and then put them back into the pot.
Mash the potatoes with a wooden spoon or a fork. They will mash really easily. If you feel like you have a bit too much water left in the pot, press the saute button and let it cook a bit of the water out while you stir it.
Pour into a serving dish and serve piping hot with butter!
Serving these with a compound butter like Honey Cinnamon Butter, or Herb and Roasted Garlic Butter or any others you might find, make a simple dish like this really classy and fit for guests.