This strawberry pizza is fresh and light with a wonderful sweet, salty, and savory thing going on all at once! This pizza with strawberries is an easy appetizer that will totally impress anyone you make it for.
This strawberry pizza is one of the most unique and delightful strawberry recipes I have tasted in a long long time!
Pizza with Strawberries?
Yup, you heard me right. And even though it may be a little unusual, trust us, when you try it, you’re going to be surprised how good it tastes!
In fact, this strawberry pizza is pretty irresistible now. It certainly has that WOW factor. From the presentation to the taste, its an all round show stopper.
Imagine you put this down in front of your guests at a dinner party or on the back deck with a bottle of wine… They will be all over it. Plus, its so easy!
Toppings for the Strawberry Pizza
This pizza has the following toppings:
- ricotta cheese
- strawberry sauce – or you can use a strawberry jam if you prefer
- fresh mozzarella – the fresh mozza ball is so good, but you could use grated too if you had that on hand.
- caramelized onions
- balsamic reduction sauce
- maldon salt or other finishing salt
You could also add some nuts if you like. We have used our maple roasted pecans on this strawberry pizza and it was really good!
Tools You Need to Make a Strawberry Pizza
These are the tools we use when we make pizza.
- pizza stone or cast iron pizza pan
- pizza peel (or lifter) – you can also use a cake lifter…
- pizza cutter
- stand mixer (for the dough) – but you can do this by hand too if you like
You don’t have to have a pizza stone, or the cast iron pizza pan, but they make much nicer pizza, or flatbread for that matter, just because you can heat it up to a higher temperature than you can with most baking trays or other cookware.
Making Homemade Pizza Dough
Don’t be intimidated to make your own pizza or flatbread dough. This recipe is soooooo easy. If you have a stand mixer anyways…
What you will need:
- active dry yeast
With this recipe, you just throw all the ingredients into a mixer and mix for 8 mins and then you let it rise. Its so easy!
If you don’t have a stand mixer, you will need to use some elbow grease and knead the dough by hand, but its still very doable. The pictures below are of making the dough without a mixer.
Here is a video showing how to kneed bread dough which is exactly the same method for pizza dough.
How to Make Strawberry Pizza
- first make your dough and let it rise. Then shape your dough to the desired shape of your pizza.
- while the dough is rising, make some caramelized onions. Let them cool before putting them on the pizza.
- mix some strawberry sauce together with ricotta and spread it all over the dough as your pizza sauce.
- next layer the caramelized onions, strawberries, fresh mozzarella, and prosiutto.
- bake in an oven on a pizza stone.
- when the cheese has melted and the edges of the pizza are browned, the pizza is done.
- sprinkle chopped basil, salt, and balsamic reduction on top before serving.
These steps give the short version of how to make strawberry pizza. For the full details, see the recipe card below!
Tips for Making the Best Strawberry Pizza
- Our number one tip is to use a pizza stone! It really will cook the best, look the best, and taste the best!
- Make your own dough. You can buy store bought pizza crust or flatbread, but its never the same and the dough is easy to make so why not?
- Use the freshest strawberries you can find! I don’t think frozen would work either, unfortunately.
- Dont skip the fresh basil, salt or balsamic! They really make such a difference in the flavor of this pizza.
- Try to use fresh mozzarella. The subtle flavor works so perfect with the rest of the flavors on this strawberry pizza. You can use grated mozzarella or some other cheese too, but the fresh just melts and tastes outstanding!
Just looking at those pictures makes me want to get out my kitchen aid and make up a bowl of pizza dough. Since I have had it before, when I’m looking at it, I can taste it!
If you love strawberries, or even just like them, get your own dang mixer out right now and just do it!
You can thank us later…
Other Flatbread and Pizza Recipes You Might Like
- Greek chicken flatbread with homemade tzatziki
- Short rib flatbread with potato and bacon
- Grilled pizza on the BBQ
If you’ve tried this strawberry pizza recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
To save this recipe for later on Pinterest:
We love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
The BEST Strawberry Pizza
TO MAKE THE PIZZA DOUGH
- 5 cups flour
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast or 1 pkg
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for when the dough is rising
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
TO MAKE THE PIZZA DOUGH
- In a measuring cup, add the warm water and yeast. Set aside for 5 mins.
- In the mixing bowl of your food processor add the flour and salt and then stir. When the yeast mixture is bubbling, add the yeast mixture and 1/4 cup olive oil to the flour mixture. Mix on medium for 5 - 8 mins until its well combined and the dough looks nice and silky smooth. If its to sticky add 1 tbsp at a time of flour or if its too stiff add 1 tbsp water at a time till soft and smooth.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a round disc. Cut the dough into 5 or 6 pieces and shape each into a ball. Place the dough you will use right away on an oiled baking tray or in separate small bowls that have been oiled. Drizzle some oil on top of each ball. You can freeze the rest. (see note below).
- Cover the dough you want to rise with a tea towel and allow it to rise for 25 mins or so until it doubles in size.
FOR THE STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to boil. Turn to low heat and simmer till it thickens. This will take about 15 mins. Set aside to cool.
- Mix the 1/4 cup strawberry sauce with 1/4 cup of ricotta for each pizza.
MAKE THE CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- Slice the onion into thin slices. Heat a frying pan over med-low heat. Add about a tbsp of butter and then add the onions. Sprinkle with a little salt. Cook until the onions get nice and browned and caramelized stirring every couple of mins. This will take about 10 - 15 mins. They don't need to be super browned, just slightly.
TO ASSEMBLE THE PIZZA
- Heat oven to 500 degrees if you have a pizza stone or 425 degrees if you are using a baking tray or something else to cook your pizza. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven now to heat with the oven.
- For each pizza, take one of the pizza dough balls and place it on a floured surface. Use your fingers and knuckles working from the inside out to shape the dough into your desired shape. If you have a pizza peel, flour it well and add a little cornmeal so the pizza slides off it easy. If you don't have a pizza peel, place your pizza dough on parchment paper.
- First spread a thin layer of the strawberry sauce and ricotta over the pizza crust. Add the fresh strawberries and fresh mozzarella. Add torn pieces of prosciutto. Place in the oven on the pizza stone and bake until the mozzarella is melted. About 8 mins at 500 degrees and 12 at 425 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and top with a sprinkle of chopped basil, salt, and drizzle balsamic reduction over the pizza. Cut into slices and serve!