Good things come in small packages! Tacos are no exception. We love tacos, but these little wonton tacos in taco cup form are way cuter and things just taste better when they are cute.
Cinco de Mayo is coming up! And since some of you might be hosting a celebration, we figured you needed a solid appetizer idea. Enter Tequila Shrimp Wonton Tacos with Avocado Cream! They are very easy to make and you can make most of this ahead of time then put it together in a cinch just before your guests arrive. We love food for entertaining where you can do that.
These baby wonton tacos have flavorful homemade refried beans on the bottom, followed by a sprinkle of fresh pico de gallo, a tequila and lime marinated shrimp placed on top and then the works are drizzled with avocado cream made with lime juice and finished with a couple sprigs of cilantro. Being in miniature taco cups form, you are able to get a little bit of everything in each and every bite. Even if you eat these in two bites instead of one, like we do.
If you are preparing for a party, you will want to make your refried beans and pico de gallo ahead of time. It can sit in the fridge overnight or even for two days if need be. If you want this to be a little faster, you can always use store bought refried beans and store bought salsa, but we think its worth it to make your own, it always tastes better. If you choose the store bought route for the refried beans, we still suggest jazzing them up with some spices.
So we tried initially to make these wonton tacos into a traditional taco shape, but then we could only make say 6 – 8 wonton tacos at a time and when we piped the refried beans into the wonton tacos, it just looked terrible! Like little logs of brown, well I think you can get the picture lol. So we had a laugh and then we went the mini muffin tin route which looked a lot better and we were able to bake the refried beans inside the taco cups which meant they got all nice an warmed up as well so it was a double win.
Your Cinco de Mayo guests are gonna love these babies. They are best served warm, but they still taste good at room temperature too, if they last that long…
- TEQUILA MARINADE
- 1 400 g bag prawns or shrimp
- 2 tbsp cilantro , chopped
- 2 tbsp tequila
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tsp salt AVOCADO CREME
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lime , juiced
- 1 tsp saltREFRIED BEANS
- 1 can pinto beans , canned
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powderPICO DE GALLO
- 3 tomatoes , seeds and liquid in the middle take out, diced
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeno , seeds removed, finely minced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cilantro , choppedFOR THE TACOS
- you will need a mini muffin tin
- package of wonton wrappers
- In each taco cup:
- 1-2 tsp refried beans
- 1 shrimp
- 1 tsp pico de gallo
- drizzle of the avocado creme
- Make the refried beans. Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans, onion, garlic, onion and garlic powder, salt and chili powder to a pot. Cook on medium low till the onions get translucent and the beans are hot. You might have to add a little water if things start sticking to the pot. Just a little. Then take a potato masher and mash up the beans, onions and spices till they are all smashed and mixed together. Give it a little taste to see if it needs more salt or heat or spices. Set aside or store in the fridge till you are ready to make the wonton tacos.
- Next make the pico de gallo. Throw your diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime and salt into a bowl or tupperware container. Mix together well and give it a taste. Adjust for salt if need be. Set it aside or store in the fridge until you are ready to make the tacos.
- Make the avocado creme. Put the avocado, sour cream, lime and salt into a bowl and mash the avocado with a fork while combining with the other ingredients. Mash until the mixture gets smooth. Its ok to have a couple very small lumps, but you want it to be pretty smooth. You can also do this in a food processor. Store the avocado creme in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Marinate the shrimp. Add the shrimp, tequila, cilantro, lime, oil, garlic and salt to a bowl and toss well to coat the shrimp. Let it marinate for about 30 mins or so. You don't want it to sit too too long as it has lime juice in it.
- When you are ready, make the tacos. Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray the mini muffin tin with oil so nothing sticks. Fill the tin with wontons, pressing the bottom of the wonton to the bottom of the muffin tin to make a cup. In each cup put a dollop of refried beans (about 1 - 2 tsps). When your oven is ready bake the wontons for about 8 mins or until the edges get golden brown. Be careful to watch them after the first couple of mins.
- While the wontons are in the oven, heat a skillet on medium heat and when its hot, add the shrimp to the pan and cook them for a few mins on each side, just until they are pink. Turn the heat off.
- When the wonton tacos come out of the oven, pull them out of the tin and put them on your serving tray. Add a spoonful of pico de gallo to each taco, top that with a shrimp and drizzle them with the avocado creme.
- Serve right away.