Whiskey lemonade made with homemade lemonade from freshly squeezed lemons, sweetened with honey rather than sugar, and mixed with a shot of whiskey. It’s easy, refreshing and made in a pitcher so its easy to share with friends.
I’ll be honest, we don’t drink a lot of whiskey in our family. There is sort of an unwritten rule around these parts that whiskey can only be consumed in small amounts or bags will be packed and divorce papers will be served. That kind of thing… Ok so I’m sort of joking, but sort of not lol. I’m pretty sure we aren’t the only ones with this unwritten rule. Whiskey has a bit of a reputation! So … small amounts.
That said, we like to have a whiskey drink once in a while. We like to live on the edge here and there 😉 And when we want one, this is the drink that comes to mind. Debbie and I like to call it redneck lemonade for fun, but its just whiskey lemonade and we make it with fresh homemade lemonade sweetened with honey. Either way, its fricken tasty!
Whiskey lemonade is just the ticket for a warm summer evening sitting out on the deck with a couple friends just enjoying the heat and the company. This cocktail is SO refreshing and it’s obviously homemade lemonade as soon as you taste it, so your guests will appreciate the effort you went to.
If they don’t, kick them out and invite us over, we will appreciate it! lol
When I was younger and my family lived in Haiti, we had both a key lime and lemon tree in our backyard. Madame Telom, the wonderful lady that came to our house every day to help my mom with cooking and cleaning, used to make homemade lemonade and limeade on a regular basis. It was SOOOO good, its usually the first thing I think of every time I smell lemons or key limes. Its delicious and if you haven’t tried it before, make some. Even if you don’t put whisky in it. 😉
How to make homemade lemonade with honey
Its really easy!
- Squeeze the juice from some lemons and add it to a pitcher. You need 1 cup of lemon juice which is about 4 – 5 lemons.
- To the pitcher with your fresh lemon juice, you add 1/2 a cup of honey and mix well. You can also use sugar if you don’t have honey, but we love the flavor that the honey gives our homemade lemonade.
- Then add your water and some lemon slices to make it look pretty. Store this in the fridge till you are ready to use it. It will be good for a few days so you can make this days before your serving it.
We LOVE this handy little tool for squeezing lemons and limes. It squeezes the juice out well, but also catches the seeds for you. You can also use a wooden squeezer or one of those hand press juicers. You can also squeeze them by hand, but these tools make the job much easier. We also love these weck juice jars as pitchers!
Tip: if your honey is cold or its not liquid at all, microwave it for 30 seconds or so and then add it to your lemon juice. You can also heat your honey up in a double boiler over simmering water. It will mix easier if it is warm.
How to make the whiskey lemonade
When your ready to serve your whiskey lemonade cocktails, just get out your highball glasses and fill them with ice. Measure out 2 oz of whiskey and pour it in. Of course, if you want to make it a single, only pour in 1 oz. But honestly, why would you want that? (insert crazy face emoji with tongue hanging out)
Then fill the rest of your glass with lemonade and garnish with a sprig of mint and a slice of lemon or a twist of the lemon rind. I love how these look with a sprig of mint especially! They just look so refreshing!
Recipe for a pitcher
If you wanted to just add your whiskey to a pitcher of lemonade rather than making each cocktail separately, go for it!
If you follow our recipe exactly for the homemade lemonade, we recommend starting off with 9-10 oz of whiskey and then giving it a stir and a taste.
12 oz would make a double but you can always add more whiskey to your pitcher, you cant take it out, so start with less and then add more to taste.
Make sure to give it a good stir every time you pour a drink!
Other ways to serve this homemade lemonade
Now that you have a pitcher of delicious homemade lemonade, maybe not all of your friends like whiskey. Or maybe they are not allowed to drink it lol. If so, there are a number of other ways to serve this as a cocktail:
- mix it with vodka or gin
- add a little soda to it and serve it as a punch
- mix it with rum and add a splash of hibiscus syrup to it! And maybe another splash of sparkling wine!
- try it with spiced rum, I bet that would be good!
Other lemon cocktails you might like
As you can see, we love our lemon cocktails! If you liked this one, you will probably also like one or all of these too 🙂
- hibiscus lemonade sangria
- rose infused lemon drop martini
- meyer lemon and rosemary martini
- strawberry lemonade mimosa
- vanilla and meyer lemon martini
- hard blood orange lemonade with infused thyme
- hard lemon and raspberry iced tea
- sparkling bees knees cocktail
If you’ve tried this whiskey lemonade recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
To save this recipe for later on Pinterest, click here!
We love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
Whiskey with Homemade Lemonade a.k.a Redneck Lemonade
FOR THE LEMONADE
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice about 4 or 5 lemons
- 3 – 4 cups water
- lemon slices
- 1/2 cup liquid honey make sure its warm
FOR THE WHISKEY LEMONADE
- 2 oz whiskey
- 6 oz of fresh lemonade
- few slices of lemon
FOR THE LEMONADE
- Squeeze all the juice from your lemons to equal 1 cup and pour into a pitcher. Pour in the water, the honey, the lemon slices and mix well. Your done!
- If your honey is cold or solid, heat it up in the microwave or a double boiler first and then add it to the liquid. It will mix better if its warm.
FOR THE WHISKEY LEMONADE
- Fill a glass with ice. Pour in the whiskey first and then fill with the fresh lemonade. Throw in a few slices of lemon and give it a good stir and serve. You are going to love love this one!