Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon Dressing
This warm spinach salad with bacon dressing is a great dinner or appetizer salad! Its easy to make, but special with tons of flavor and so so good!
FOR TWO SALADS
- 6 cups spinach
- 8 mushrooms
- 4 strips bacon chopped and cooked, fat reserved
- 1/2 med red onion sliced
- 1-2 large hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese grated
- 1 small tomato chopped
MAKE THE BOILED EGGS
Gently add the eggs to a medium sized pot and cover them with water. Put the pot on high heat until it boils. Once it boils, cover and remove the pot from the heat. Keep the lid on for 15 mins, then drain and cover with cold water. Let the eggs cool in the water till you are ready to use them in the salad.
MAKE THE BACON, ONIONS and MUSHROOMS
Make the bacon first. Chop it into pieces of about 1/2 to 1 inch thick and add to a skillet on medium heat. Cook until it starts to get crispy or to your desired doneness. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate lined with paper towel.
Remove the bacon fat from the skillet and set aside. Don't discard!
Add the chopped onion and sliced mushrooms to the hot pan and saute them till nicely browned. You can cook the onions and mushrooms together or you can also cook them separately too, if you prefer. When they are done, remove them from the pan and set aside.
FINISH THE SALAD
Peel and slice an egg on each salad however you like it. In half, in quarters, or sliced. Add half of the onions, mushrooms and bacon to the salad.
MAKE THE DRESSING
Add a few tbsp of bacon fat back to your skillet. It does not have to be cleaned first. Melt the bacon fat if its cool. Next add the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and salt. Whisk it well to combine and pour it over the two salads. Eat them right away.
Tips for Making the Best Warm Spinach Salad
Tips for Making Warm Bacon Dressing
- Use the freshest ingredients you can find. Especially the spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Don't use flavored bacon, it will taste weird
- Be careful to only dress the salad with just enough dressing. Too much dressing could taste greasy and overpower the rest of the ingredients. You only need a little.
- Eat it right away!
- You cant store salad with bacon dressing already on it. it will be gross. so only dress what you will eat.
- Use the same pan you used to make the bacon and or onions and mushrooms. It will give the dressing more flavor.
- Make sure the bacon fat and the pan is not too hot when you make the dressing.
- You want the temperature of the pan on low.
- You can leave it in the pan until you are ready to serve it, but make sure to leave it on the lowest heat or turn the pan off for a bit and then heat it back up when you are ready to serve.
Serving: 1salad with dressing | Calories: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g