These stuffed zucchini boats with chunks of farmer sausage, sautéed onions, lots of garlic and melted cheese are an awesome side dish for a bbq dinner, a holiday dinner, or even just a weeknight meal for your family! They are an easy side dish to make and they taste great!
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
I never used to like zucchini. I found it mushy and tasteless, but I especially didn’t like how it was mushy. Enter Debbie’s Stuffed Zucchini which was the first zucchini dish that I EVER liked.
And since then, I have moved on to like a few more zucchini things, like Zucchini and Carrot Fritters with Chive and Basil Sour Cream (Holy Yum!) and I’ve even, on occasion, chosen to eat them sliced up and sautéed in a pan with a little garlic, salt and pepper.
But it was this recipe that got me there…
Who wouldn’t be converted?! Zucchini stuffed full with chunks of salty farmer sausage, sautéed onions, lots of garlic and melted cheese that gets all goey in the middle and crunchy on the edges. Even Kevin ate it and said it was really good and he’s NOT a zucchini person.
It’s that time of the year right now where you might be like me and have zucchini growing like wildfire in your gardens. If that’s you, then you need this recipe! Your kids and your husband need this recipe!
Zucchini Boat Recipe Options
Now, let’s talk substitutions… There’s any number of things that you could add to this recipe to customize it to your liking. In our opinion, you need some sort of saltyish meat.
Farmer sausage, spicy turkey sausage, chopped up ham, bacon, prosciutto. Have to have it. Well unless your a vegetarian and then we’ll grudgingly allow you to eat it without.
You also have to have onions, garlic and cheese. But then, you could add mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, any type of herbs, the list could go on. Debbie and I always make it like this, but then sometimes add herbs, maybe a few mushrooms, and we sometimes change up the cheese.
Once we made it with smashed up jalapeño potato chips sprinkled on top for some crunch. That was excellent, but not as pretty as these and a little less healthy.
These stuffed zucchini boats are actually quite healthy if you don’t go overboard on the cheese, but if you are worried about fat content, opt for turkey sausage or chopped ham and go easy on the cheese. Otherwise these are a great low carb side dish that can easily pass as comfort food but without the all regret.
You will be craving zucchini after trying it this way.
- 2 small to medium zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced or put through a press
- 1 cup onions , chopped
- 2 cups cooked farmer sausage bite sized pieces
- 2 cups grated white aged cheddar
- 2 tbsp diced garlic chives
- 1 tsp or so each salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop all the seed out and place them on a baking tray. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the insides of the zucchini. Cook the zucchini in the oven for 5 mins. Remove from the oven.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add a little olive oil.
- While the zucchini is cooking, chop up the onion (we like a medium sized chop) and dice up the garlic. Saute for about 2 to 3 mins, remove from heat and place it in a bowl.
- Add the farmer sausage, cheese and half of the chives and mix well.
- Stuff the mixture into the zucchini, place in the oven and cook for 8 to 10 mins.
- When they are done, sprinkle with the rest of the chives and serve