This rum and ginger cocktail with a good splash of lime is super light and refreshing. Its basically a classed up version of rum and ginger ale, made with a very gingery simple syrup, rum, lime and topped off with soda. We guarantee this will taste way better than any gingerale you can get out of a bottle.
This is a perfect summer time, sit by the pool drink. Also a great alternative to a Mojito during the wintertime if you don’t have any nice mint. Its hard for us to find nice mint in the winter. The blend of rum and ginger and lime pairs so nicely together and then with that big splash of soda bubbles, you almost wont even miss your mojitos. Blasphemy I know…! We love our mojitos too, but this cocktail can hold its own against a mojito.
My husband would say its better. He is not a big fan of the “green stuff” floating in his drink, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions 🙂 So if you are not a fan of mojitos for that that reason too, you might just fall in love with this rum and ginger cocktail.
This drink also tastes great as a pitcher so if you have company or know that you will be having a few, make a pitcher and you wont have to be at the bar or in the kitchen making drinks constantly. We love pitcher drinks for sharing with friends. The recipe below has all the measurements for both a single cocktail and a pitcher.
Ways to change up this Rum and Ginger Cocktail:
- use pineapple rum and add some pineapple to the pitcher and as a garnish!
- use coconut rum!
The ginger syrup is really easy to make. You just make a simple syrup with 2 cups water and 1 cup sugar, but you add a cup of roughly chopped fresh ginger, bring it to a simmer and let it simmer for 30 mins. Then let it cool and its ready to use in cocktails. Piece of cake!
Rum and Ginger with a Twist
FOR THE GINGER SYRUP
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh ginger cut into 1 inch chunks
FOR THE COCKTAIL
- 2 oz rum
- 1 oz ginger syrup
- 4 oz club soda
- 1 tbsp lime juice or about 2 lime wedges squeezed
- fresh grated ginger for on top
FOR A PITCHER
- 1 cup rum
- 1/2 cup ginger syrup
- 1/8 cup lime juice
MAKE THE GINGER GYRUP
- Add the sugar, water, and ginger to a pot over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat. Let it simmer for 30 mins then remove from the heat and let it cool. Before you use the syrup, strain the ginger.
MAKE A COCKTAIL
- Add some ice to a glass. Pour in the rum, ginger syrup, and lime. Give it a stir. Top with the club soda and give it one more little stir. Grate some fresh ginger and sprinkle on top if you like. Serve.
MAKE A PITCHER
- Add the rum, ginger syrup, and lime to a pitcher. Give it a good stir. When you make a cocktail, stir first then measure out 3 1/2 oz of the mixture for each cocktail and top with club soda.