And its Friday again! Love short work weeks. Monday was a holiday for BC day and I am off today too! I was supposed to be off yesterday, but have I mentioned how busy work has been lately!! Its been insane so I had to work, but now my long weekend has begun. Kevin and I are camping at Brae Island Campground in Fort Langley with his family. Kevin’s sister Lisa, brother in law Kyle and their two girls, Kevin’s dad Harry, and a number of others.
We are here to celebrate Kevin’s step-mom Terri’s first birthday since she passed. She passed away last November so we are here in her honor as this is a place where she and Harry used to come camping a lot and a place where Harry feels close to her. A number of their friends are coming as well so there is sure to be lots of stories told and wonderful memories passed around.
I didn’t know Terri very well having only met her a couple times, but I’m certain we would have got along famously. I do know that she was a fabulous cook and she enjoyed her beer. A woman after my own heart! Im certain she would approve of the cocktail that Debbie and I are sharing with you today.
Debbie and I made a shit ton of blackberry simple syrup a while back so we have been using it in various ways lately. We were at Debbie’s and had a menu of items we were going to make for the blog that day that didn’t include this cocktail. However, after cooking and photographing our first dish that day, Debbie says to me, “I think we should make some Sangria. Just to sip on…” We weren’t planning on making it for the blog, but after throwing it together and trying it, we knew we had to share it with you. Its sooooooooo delish! I think Blackberry and Peach is my new favorite fruit flavor combo…
And I have to say… don’t they look so gorgeous in that bowl?!
Even Mark said, “Whoa this is good. I think I might give up beer for the day and drink this!” To which Debbie and I replied, “I don’t think so… Get your own.” But we shared. Because were nice like that. And because everyone should have the chance to taste this Sangria! Its that dang good!
My favorite part is the floating peaches that I get to slurp up as I sip away. I love peaches and the slices get just a little bit sweeter and a tiny bit tangy after swimming in the sangria for a while. So yum! In the summer we get our peaches from the Okanagan which is a few hours drive from where we live so they are always sweet and juicy and wonderful.
Enjoy and have a fabulous weekend! Cheers!
- FOR THE BLACKBERRY SIMPLE SYRUP
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup waterFOR THE SANGRIA
- 4 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup peach schnapps
- 3/4 cup blackberry simple syrup
- 1 or 2 peaches , cut up in slices
- 1 cup blackberries
- a little club soda (optional)
- First make the simply syrup. Put all the ingredients into a medium pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for at least an hour or until the mixture reduces and starts to thicken up a bit. It doesn't need to be too thick. Set aside to cool.
- Next make the sangria.
- Add all the ingredients into a pitcher and stir well.
- Fill a glass full of ice and fill the glass almost all the way with the sangria mixture.
- Top it off with a little club soda. You don't have to do this, but otherwise we feel like it is too sweet and just a little club soda tastes great.