This post will show you how to make croutons, pan-fried on the stove. In just a few mins you will have buttery, flavorful croutons that are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
These homemade croutons are absolutely heavenly and I bet you will be popping them in your mouth before they get to your soup or salad. So you better make lots!
Homemade is almost always better and these croutons are no exception. Man they are good! If you like bread and you like butter, you are just like us and you won’t be able to stop eating them. #sorrynotsorry
These homemade croutons are super quick too. They are made in a hot pan on the stove and take just a few mins to brown and crisp up. They are WAY faster and easier than making them in the oven and its easier to control how crispy they get. I find that the oven can dry croutons out too, but that doesn’t happen in the pan either.
I am not a big fan of store bought croutons either. I find them dry and tasteless and hard.
Once you learn how to make croutons at home so quick and easy and delicious, you will never want to buy them at the store again!
Here’s How to Make Croutons
- Cut up some bread into 1 inch cubes. You want about 2 cups of cubes
- Add a couple tablespoons of butter or oil each to a skillet on medium heat
- When the butter is melted, add your spice blend, stir then add the bread cubes and stir to coat
- Cook in the pan till the edges of the bread get crispy stirring often
Here’s a Video to Show You How to Do It
Sometimes a visual can help you see how easy it really is!
There are so many ways to make your homemade croutons taste delicious. You can leave them just as is with salt and butter, which is really yummy, or you can use your imagination and flavor them any ways you like. We have a few ideas…
Ways to Flavor Your Homemade Croutons
- make em spicy with cajun spices
- fancy with a little truffle oil thrown in while cooking
- flavor them with a Greek spice blend
- chili powder for taco salads
- fresh garlic in the butter with some garlic powder as well
Any excuse to make and eat these homemade croutons is welcome in our houses! But we think the best way is on a salad or in soup. But you could also use them as a topping on a casserole or something…??? That would probably be really really good!
How to Use Your Homemade Croutons
- tomato soup
- grilled ceaser salad
- mushroom soup
- celeriac soup
- broccoli and cauliflower soup
- or any other soup or salad that needs a little something crunchy 🙂
Recommended Tools for these Homemade Croutons
We highly recommend using a stainless steel pan for frying these babies up. Stainless pans are excellent for creating a delicious crispy crust on anything you cook and these croutons are no exception. We both have this All Clad stainless steel frying pan set. They are a little pricier than most non stick pans, but they will last forever and never loose their non stick coating and they won’t leach toxins into your food. You will love them too!
If you’ve tried this homemade crouton recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
How to Make Croutons ~ So Good and Easy
- Heat a pan on med to medium-low heat. Add the butter, olive oil and wait till the butter is melted. Add the spice mix and salt and mix together.
- Add the bread cubes and stir till they soak up all the butter. Cook till nicely browned. Cool completely and they will become crunchy.