This broccoli and cauliflower soup is creamy and cheesy and packed full of nutrition and flavor. Low carb comfort food that’s quick and easy for a weeknight meal. The croutons are out of this world amazing and are a cinch to make. We will show you how.
Broccoli and cheddar soup is one of the classics. For good reason! Its delicious. It’s one you can usually find it at restaurants and deli joints, but if you have never made broccoli soup at home or had it home made for you, you are missing out! It’s a super easy, quick to make, and its packed full of nutrition and flavor. A great weeknight meal option for your family. The homemade croutons are a little extra touch that take only a few mins to make, but they really make this soup special.
Usually broccoli soup is made creamy with a bunch of cream. However, this broccoli and cauliflower soup is made creamy by pureeing the cauliflower. Its just as good, if not better, than the version with cream, it is much easier on the waistline, and more nutritious for your family.
This soup makes a really wonderful meatless meal for your family should you be vegetarian or just looking to add some meatless meals to your families dinner rotation. Just replace the chicken bone broth with vegetarian soup stock.
We absolutely LOVE low carb comfort food and that’s exactly what this is.
Don’t skip the croutons. Croutons from the bag are dry and very crunchy. This homemade crouton recipe makes buttery golden croutons that are crispy on the outside and just slightly chewy on the inside. They are HEAVENLY and barely take any effort.
Check out this post on how to make croutons!
So easy but they will add a special touch to your broccoli cauliflower soup. Anyone you serve it to will appreciate the extra effort and only you will know how simple it actually is!
We like to use bone broth rather than regular broth when we make this broccoli and cauliflower soup. Or any soup for that matter. You definitely don’t have to, but it gives soups a lot more flavor and a lot more nutrients like minerals and collagen rich protein that is anti inflammatory for your gut among other things.
You can make your own at home pretty easy, especially if you have an instant pot, or due to it’s recent popularity, you can buy it in cartons at the grocery store. Go for an organic one if you can.
Recommended Tools for Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup:
- I have a Blendtec, Debbie has a Vitamix. They both rock, make this soup super silky smooth, and you will never regret buying one.
- A handheld Immersion blender is another option for blending this soup. This one has the power you need to get the job done well!
- An enameled cast iron pot is a must for any cook who loves to make soup. This Lodge 6 qt one is beautiful and will make a kick ass pot of whatever you put in it! This 7.5 qt one from Le Creuset is gorgeous and if you feel like splurging, it will last you a lifetime! We are saving up our pennies…
Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
FOR THE SOUP
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head broccoli , cut into pieces
- 1 head cauliflower , cut into pieces
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 7 cups chicken bone broth or just regular broth
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup swiss cheese grated
- 1 cup coconut milk or regular milk (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot on medium heat. Chop the onion in med pieces and chop the garlic. Add to soup pot and saute for 2 mins. Then add the broccoli and cauliflower. Add the chicken broth to the pot. Cover and boil till broccoli and cauliflower is very soft.
- After the vegetables are very soft turn off the burner and spoon all the veggies into a blender and blend till smooth. Or use a hand held immersion blender and puree the vegetables.
- Add the pureed vegetables back to the soup pot and add half the other carton of chicken broth. Turn the burner on to medium and add the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste and the herb de provence.
- Add the coconut milk to the soup for a little extra creaminess if you want. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook until the soup reaches your desired consistency. The longer you simmer, the thicker it will get.
MAKE THE CROUTONS
- Cut up the bread into 1 inch cubes. You want about 2 cups of cubes. Add the butter or oil to a skillet on medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the spice blend, stir and add the bread cubes and stir to coat well.
- Cook in the pan, stirring often, until the edges of the bread get crispy and golden.
- Serve with the crutons on top of the soup and top it all off with a little cheese if you like. YUM!