Blood orange lemonade with sweet blood oranges and tart lemon sweetened with thyme infused simple syrup. Add vodka and top with bubbly club soda.
Isn’t it beautiful?! I just love the color of this cocktail!
Its blood orange season again and Debbie and I couldn’t be happier. Blood oranges just might be my favorite fruit to make cocktails with. They add that special sweetness to your mix so you don’t need to add much sweetener to your cocktails, if any. This cocktail mixes sweet blood oranges juice with tart lemon juice then slightly sweetened with thyme infused simple syrup. This delicious elixir then gets added to smooth vodka and topped with bubbly club soda. Blood orange lemonade at its best!
The hint of thyme works perfectly with the blood orange lemonade just to give it a touch of “je ne sais quoi”. If you didn’t know it was in there, you may not know what it was, but you would know there was something just by the fragrance and the taste. We can’t get enough of it.
Just a quick note, to get maximum thyme flavor, use the sugar to make this simple syrup. Don’t use honey or the thyme flavor will be lost.
This week has been special and the weekend is going to carry on that theme. On this past wed, one of my best girlfriends, Dayna, gave birth to a beautiful baby boy! Stefan. He is wonderful in every way and the sweetest little bundle. He makes my heart warm and fuzzy. My girlfriend is exhausted, but she is over the moon in love and I couldn’t be happier for her. xoxo
Now, this weekend, we are celebrating two of my other best friends birthdays. Liane and Jenn. Dayna, Liane, Jenn, and I all went to high school together and have remained the best of friends ever since. So its so nice for us to get together and celebrate such a wonderful week. Dayna will be there in spirit :).
It so happens that I am making this hard blood orange lemonade for us to sip on tonight. I can’t wait for the girls to try it cuz I know they are going to love it!
Hard Blood Orange Lemonade Infused with Thyme
TO MAKE THE SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 big bunch of thyme
TO MAKE THE LEMONADE
- 6 blood oranges
- 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of the simple syrup
TO MAKE THE COCKTAIL
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 - 4 oz blood orange lemonade
- 4 - 6 oz club soda
MAKE THE LEMONADE
- Add the honey, water and thyme to a small pot. Turn it to low heat and let it simmer for an hour then turn off the heat and let it cool. Strain and set aside.
- Juice all of the oranges and lemons into a container with a lid. Add the thyme infused honey to the lemonade mixture bit by bit till it tastes good. You may not need all the honey mixture if you don't like your cocktails too sweet.
MAKE THE COCKTAIL
- Fill a glass with ice. Add the vodka and lemonade. Stir well and fill the rest of the glass with club soda. Stir again and serve.