Sophisticated but easy homemade hummus recipe with garlic, a little lemon, and plenty of truffle oil. It’s like no other hummus you have tasted and you will never want it any other way! Served with these herbed pita chips, its a great little appetizer recipe for a party.
Debbie and I love our hummus. Great as an everyday snack or as an appetizer for a party. This hummus recipe in particular is perfect for a party cuz it’s all fancied up with truffle flavor.
If you like truffles and you like hummus, you are going to love this recipe! Even my husband liked it and he’s a hard sell for new things.
Along with this hummus recipe we made some baked pita chips as well, since those are also way better homemade. These are so easy and way more flavorful and healthy than their store bought and deep fried counterparts. They only take about 6 or 7 mins in the oven and they get just as crispy.
You’ll never buy pita chips again, I tell ya.
What goes in a hummus recipe?
As you can imagine there are a million and one hummus recipes out there. I’ve tried many different ones, but I like my hummus pretty traditional tasting even without adding the truffle oil. Smooth, buttery almost, with lots of salt and garlic flavor. So this hummus recipe is pretty basic, but in my opinion, its the best! It has:
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup truffle oil (or half truffle oil and half olive oil if your truffle oil is strong)
- 1/2 small lemon (or about 1 tablespoon of juice)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
If you are going for a truffled hummus then I wouldn’t add any other flavors to this hummus recipe or you might overpower the truffle flavor.
A word about the truffle oil: all truffle oils are not created equal. Some oil is made with synthetic flavors and they have varying potentcies. Look for one that uses real truffles and is steeped or has shaved truffles. If you get a good one, you will not need to use 1/2 cup of truffle oil to get the desired truffle flavor in this hummus.
We suggest adding the truffle oil last, in small amounts and keep tasting it until you get the flavor you like. Then use olive oil to make the oil equal 1/2 cup in total if you have not used 1/2 cup of truffle oil.
And the garlic: don’t be tempted to add more garlic! We have, because we love garlic, but its way too overpowering. You want to taste the garlic and get a little of the heat from the raw garlic, but not so much that you can’t taste everything else. Start with 1 especially if your using local garlic that tends to be much stronger than the stuff you get from China
What is a good substitute for tahini in hummus?
Tahini is a sesame paste. I don’t know what it is about the tahini that makes hummus taste so much better than without, but it does. I think it gives it that buttery taste that I love so much.
If you can’t find tahini, you can substitute with a little sesame oil (about 1 tsp only though), however your hummus wont have the same buttery flavor. Still good though… I promise.
How to make this hummus recipe:
Its very easy!
- get out your food processor and all your ingredients.
- add all of the ingredients to the food processor except for the oil
- blend it up then add the truffle oil 2 tablespoons at a time and blend until you get a truffle flavor that you love
- add enough olive oil so that the truffle oil you added and the olive oil equal 1/2 cup
- blend it really well or your desired smoothness. I like mine pretty smooth but with maybe a few little chunks here and there.
- you can also add a little water if your hummus isn’t thin enough. I often add a tablespoon or so of water to my hummus.
Can you make hummus in a blender?
Absolutely! Just follow the same instructions, but just in your blender. It helps to have a high powered blender like a blendtec (like I have) or a vitamix (like Debbie’s), but you can likely use any blender. You might need to use a little water with some blenders to get things moving a bit.
How to make the baked pita chips:
These are super easy too, and really delicious. Way more flavorful than pita chips you can buy in the store, in our humble opinion…
- coat your pita breads with olive oil and cut them into 8ths
- spread them out on a baking tray and sprinkle them with salt, garlic powder, herbs de provence, and parmesan
- bake them at 350 degrees for 6 or 7 mins. Let them cool before serving.
Tip: for extra truffle flavor, drizzle a little truffle oil over the pita chips! Yum.
If you are a hummus lover, you absolutely must try it made with truffle oil. It gives plain old hummus such an interesting and elegant twist. Make it just as awesome for game day or as an appetizer fit for a casual dinner party. I know I would love it served to me…
Other appetizer recipes you might love and ways to serve this hummus:
Just a couple party food ideas and a few suggestions for serving this hummus at a party.
- serve it in little individual shooter glasses with a couple of these crispy and flavorful baked pita chips or veggies
- short rib flat bread with potato and bacon – damn good, especially a hit with the men
- coconut prawns with habanero & pineapple sauce – ALWAYS a hit
- onion, pear and prosciutto puff pastry tarts – one of our favorites for sure!
- hot onion and gruyere dip – my favorite dip in the whole world!
Can’t forget the cocktails:
- raspberry champagne float with vanilla ice cream – totally dreamy
- sparkling bees knees with tequila! – can be made in a pitcher too
- espresso martini – just in case anyone needs a pick me up, this one works like a charm!
If you’ve tried this truffled hummus recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
We love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
Truffled Hummus with Baked Pita Chips
- Put all ingredients (but only half of the truffle oil to start) for the hummus into a food processor. Blend well until smooth. You might have to keep scraping down the sides.
- Taste it and either add the rest of the truffle oil or use olive oil instead if your hummus is very truffly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
MAKE THE PITAS
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread out the pitas and brush olive oil over both sides. Cut the pitas into 8ths and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle with the salt, garlic powder, herb de provence and the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 6 or 7 mins and remove from the oven. Let them cool slightly before serving.