How to make an espresso martini recipe that is smooth, creamy, richly bitter and slightly sweet. It’s made with espresso vodka, baileys and a shot of strong espresso.
It will be the best pick-me-up cocktail you have ever had! The perfect after dinner drink!
Every now and then, we all need a pick-me-up. Whenever that lift you need comes in drink form, it should be in the form of this espresso martini recipe!
What are the Ingredients?
I have seen a number of different espresso martini recipes. All are similar with minor variations. Our version has:
- strong espresso
- Espresso Vodka
- Irish Cream Liqueur (Baileys or Carolyn’s)
- ice to shake the mixture with and get it nice and chilled
- if you like things sweeter, you could also add a little Kahlua to the mix
If that doesn’t get you going, I’m not sure what will!
Best Espresso Vodka
The best espresso vodka is made by Van Gogh vodka. This is not a sponsored post, we just LOVE this vodka. They make two kinds: espresso vodka and double espresso vodka. Either works, but the double is our favourite!
How Much Alcohol is in an Espresso Martini?
This martini is fairly strong! There are 3 oz of alcohol in this martini, however the Irish cream liqueur is not as high alcohol percentage as the vodka.
This is how we like to drink this martini, however, if you don’t like your drinks to be this strong then simply cut the vodka to 1 oz.
I just love how making these smells….!
Debbie and I make this espresso martini quite often. Its our go to cocktail any time we are feeling a little tired at the beginning of a night, or we need a cocktail that’s got a little punch built into it. Its an all time favorite of ours and we never have only one!
I can’t think of a time when we have made these that someone doesn’t say, “Oooooo what’s that?” and then we give them a sip and they look longingly at us until we give in and make them one too. Its usually one of the boys.
If we make one for ourselves, they inevitably want one too. And we make them one too, cuz we love them. And we are nice like that 🙂
I am willing to bet this espresso martini will become a favorite of yours too.
How to Make this Martini
- first make the strong espresso. If you don’t have an espresso machine then just make some extra strong coffee in a pot. That’s what I do.
- fill a martini shaker half full of ice. It should be fresh from the freezer ice.
- add all the ingredients to the shaker and shake it really hard.
- pour into a glass (a chilled glass is even better) and serve with a couple espresso beans on top
Pretty easy right? Easy and delicious!
This espresso martini recipe makes the best aperitif cocktails for a dinner party and an equally good after dinner drink. Especially in the summer when its still hot at night and no one wants a hot coffee after dinner.
These espresso martinis are guaranteed to get the party started! So delicious, and the espresso vodka has quite the kick without tasting like it so be careful or you will be dancing on tables 😉 Or not and just go for it…
Do Espresso Martini’s Keep You Awake?
Oh ya they will so be careful how many you have! Its tempting to just keep drinking these because they are so good, but you will be sorry when you try to sleep!
Recommended Tools for Making This Espresso Martini
- espresso machine – I have my eye on this one. I will have it one day soonish… It will make my morning coffee and making these espresso martinis even better!
- martini shaker – we love this one because its clear glass so you can see inside and it has a silicone ring around the lid so NO SPILLS. I want my martini in my glass…
- martini glasses – classic and beautiful
- coupe glasses – you could also serve them in these. We love how classy these look!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- kicked up coffee granita with baileys and kahlua
- chocolate vodka espresso
- the BEST chocolate chip cookies in the world
- the BEST chocolate cupcakes EVER
What goes better than chocolate and espresso?!
If you’ve tried this espresso martini recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
We love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
Espresso Martini Recipe with Vodka and Baileys
- 2 - 3 oz shot of Espresso
- 2 oz shot of VanGoughs Espresso Vodka or Double Espresso Vodka
- 1 oz (or a splash) of Balieys or Carolans Irish Cream Liqueur
- First fill a martini shaker full of ice. Then pour in the Espresso, Vodka and Baileys.
- Shake the martini shaker well and pour into a martini glass along with some of the ice.