The classic Moscow mule is a favorite for a reason! It’s the perfect simple summer cocktail with it’s fizzy, spicy & refreshing ginger lime flavor!
We’ve got a little twist on the classic if you like some extra ginger flavor as well as some tips on how to serve this Moscow mule for a crowd.
Maybe at your next backyard party or when your camping this summer!
The ingredients in a traditional Moscow mule are the following:
- ginger beer
- simple syrup
One ingredient that we are using that’s a little unique is a ginger infused simple syrup. Its so easy to make and it just gives the mule a little bit more of a ginger flavor punch!
A Few Tips for your Mule Ingredients:
- the lime is also important in this Moscow mule, and actually, we think it is in every cocktail that includes lime. Fresh lime juice makes a HUGE difference, and this little citrus squeezer makes it really easy!
- But if you don’t always have fresh limes on hand or you run out, or your having a big party and you don’t want to be squeezing a million limes, this lime juice from Santa Cruz Organics is the one that we use.
Best Ginger Beer
There is a bunch of different kinds of ginger beer out there. Some are really spicy, some are really sweet. We like one that’s a little bit spicy and not too sweet.
We usually use Fentimans ginger beer and it was really great in this cocktail. You can find it at more specialty grocery stores, like Whole Foods, or you can get it here on Amazon. It’s pretty damn good on its own too, or in our dark and stormy cocktail!
Classic Copper Mugs
Moscow mules are traditionally served in a copper mug. Not only do they look cool, they keep your drink cool longer and did we mention that they look cool?! Just make sure when you are buying copper mugs that they are food safe because copper can leach into your drink and you don’t want that!
These copper mugs are lined with a stainless steel lining which also makes them double insulated. They are also so pretty!!
How To Make a Classic Moscow Mule
A Moscow mule is really easy to mix up. Here are the steps:
- Make the ginger syrup by adding 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, and a chunk or two of fresh ginger to a small pot and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 10 mins or until the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Add 2 oz of vodka, 1 tsp of ginger infused simple syrup, and 1 oz fresh lime juice. Give it a good stir.
- Fill your copper cup or glass full of ice. Crushed ice is nice, but you don’t have to use it. Then follow with the ginger beer.
- Grate some fresh ginger right over top of each cocktail.
- To get a little fancy, garnish with a sprig of mint and serve.
How to serve this cocktail to a crowd:
If you are having a party and you want to serve this Moscow mule cocktail to your guests, here are a few tips:
- set up a station with all your ingredients on a bar cart, a section of your counter, or a small table. Have a bucket of ice there too. This one looks like a huge copper mug! This one is a nice one too.
- squeeze a whole bunch of limes ahead of time. This little tool will make it easy to do a whole bunch in a short time.
- make a bunch of ginger infused simple syrup ahead of time so it is cooled and ready to use for your party.
Tools You Need
Other Cocktails with Ginger Beer:
If you’ve tried this Moscow mule recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
We love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
The Moscow MulePrint Pin Rate
GINGER INFUSED SYRUP
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 knobs fresh ginger peeled
- 2 oz vodka
- 1/2 oz ginger infused simple syrup
- 1 oz lime juiced
- 4 oz ginger beer
- sprig of mint for garnish
- fresh grated ginger (optional)
MAKE THE GINGER INFUSED SYRUP
- Make the ginger syrup by adding the sugar, water, and a chunk or two of fresh ginger to a small pot and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 10 mins or until the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and let it cool completely.
MAKE THE MOSCOW MULE
- Add the vodka, ginger infused simple syrup, and lime juice to your glass. Give it a good stir!
- Fill your copper cup or glass full of ice. Crushed ice is nice, but you don't have to use it. Then pour in the ginger beer.
- Grate some fresh ginger right over top of each cocktail. To get a little fancy, garnish with a sprig of mint and serve.