This chili cheese dip is a favorite with all the men in our life! It’s cheesy, its meaty, and its got the fresh tomatoes and onions on top that Debbie and I love. Perfect for game day and its so easy to make!
The BEST Chili Cheese Dip
All the guys love this dip! ALL of them!
We have seen them actually hover around it and shovel it in. Debbie makes this dip all the time and every time she does, they guys can’t stop saying how much they love it. But we love it too. Here’s why:
- its comfort food to the max!
- meaty and filling
- the flavors are outstanding
- perfect for potlucks or parties
- equally perfect for game day
- super easy to make with some even easier options we will tell you about below…
Ingredients You Need
Ill list them in the order that they get layered 🙂
- cream cheese – we use the full fat kind, I don’t think the light version will melt as nice.
- taco seasoning – give our homemade one a try. We think you will like it.
- canned chili – normally I don’t like canned chili, but it works in this dip.
- shredded cheese – we like to do a white cheddar or a mix of mozzarella and cheddar, but you can also use yellow cheddar or whatever cheese you like.
- tomatoes – use tomatoes that are meaty. You don’t want them to be too juicy.
- green onions – you could also use chives.
If you have homemade chili on hand, use that. This dip will be even better.
You can use store-bought taco seasoning if you like, but our homemade version is great. We have written out our taco seasoning in this recipe and if you have never tried making your own, I suggest you try it. I think it tastes far superior to the package seasoning. Plus you can control the amount of sodium and make it as spicy, or not, as you like. Play around with it a little and figure out the blend that you like the best.
If you like things spicy, adding chopped jalapenos or pickled jalapenos to the top of this dish would be so good!
How to Make this Chili Cheese Dip
There are only a few easy steps to this making this dip.
First, soften your cream cheese and mix it with the taco seasoning. Spread it evenly on the bottom of an oven proof serving dish.
Next add the chili to the dish and spread it over top of the cream cheese, but don’t mix it together. Leave it as a layer.
Shred a your cheese and sprinkle it all on top of the chili layer.
Bake the dip in an oven at 350 degrees for 15 mins or until the cheese is all melted and bubbly.
When it’s done, add chopped tomatoes and green onions on top and serve it hot!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use homemade chili?
Absolutely! In fact, we recommend it. Canned chili still works great here, but homemade is always the best isnt it?
Can I use store-bought shredded cheese?
You can, but it never melts as good.
Other game day appetizers you might like:
- crispy oven fried pickles
- the ultimate baked onion rings
- smash burger sliders
- whiskey beef sliders
- taco tater tot skewers
If you’ve tried this Layered Chili Cheese Dip recipe then we would love it if you could rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card and let us know how it turned out in the comments below. We love hearing from you!
We also love to see your creations! Tag @Cookswithcocktails if you post a picture of this recipe on INSTAGRAM
Layered Chili Cheese Dip
- 1 brick cream cheese plain or herb and garlic 400 g
- 1 can canned chili 425 g
- 11/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 recipe of taco seasoning below (or 1 package of taco seasoning)
- 2 roma tomatoes diced and seeded
- 3 green onions
FOR THE TACO SEASONING
- 1 tsp chili powder (use more or less depending on how spicy your chili powder is)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional – if you like a lot of heat)
- Make the taco seasoning by combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- In a bowl add the cream cheese and the taco seasoning and mix well.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of an oven proof serving dish.
- Add the chili on top of the cream cheese mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over top.
- Bake 350 degrees for 15 mins till the cheese is melted and it is bubbling around the edges.
- Take out of the oven and add your diced tomatoes and green onions.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Delicious! Found you guys through http://www.foodfotogallery.com
Julie and Debbie says
Hi Carmen! Glad you found us. I just checked out your site too and I see you have just started blogging. I cant wait to try some of your international recipes! Love ethinc food. Good luck with your blog!