All the guys love this dip! ALL of them!
We have seen them actually hover around it and shovel it in. Debbie makes this dip all the time and every time she does, they guys cant stop saying how much they love it. She is often asked to make this dip when she and Mark go to potlucks or parties. And she often brings it when we go camping. It takes 15 mins in the trailer oven and midday snack is done!
My brother Matt recently moved out of the nest and now lives in Vancouver. A couple weeks ago he asked Debbie for the recipe so he could make it for his roommates. He is a very picky eater but he loves this dip! He just doesn’t put the tomatoes or onions on top. Each to their own… Debbie and I personally prefer it with the tomatoes because the dip is pretty rich tasting and I find that the tomatoes and onions make it taste more fresh.
Its also incredibly easy! Its just cream cheese, taco seasoning, canned chili, and shredded cheese topped with diced tomato and onion. And somehow the combination of these simple ingredients end up creating an irresistible dip! The perfect dip now that football and hockey season is in full swing. The ingredients are ones that are usually on hand so whipping this up for a impromptu game night is easy.
We have made this with package taco seasoning, but this time we made our own and it is much better! Also, if you had homemade chili on hand, you could use that rather than canned, but we have always made it with canned chili, which I admit, is not usually my favorite. But it works here.
We have written out our taco seasoning in this recipe and if you have never tried making your own, I suggest you try it. I think it tastes far superior to the package seasoning. Plus you can control the amount of sodium and make it as spicy, or not, as you like. Play around with it a little and figure out the blend that you like the best.
Taco Chili Cheese Dip
- 1 - 400 ml cream cheese plain or herb and garlic
- 1 - 425 gr . canned chili
- 11/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 recipe of taco seasoning below (or 1 package of taco seasoning)
- 2 roma tomatoes , diced and seeded
- 3 green onionsFOR THE TACO SEASONING
- 1 tsp chili powder (use more or less depending on how spicy your chili powder is)
- 2 tsp . cumin
- 2 tsp . oregano
- 2 tsp . onion powder
- 2 tsp . garlic powder
- 2 tsp . smoked paprika
- 1 tsp . salt
- 1/4 tsp . cayenne pepper (optional - if you like a lot of heat)
- Make the taco seasoning by combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- In a bowl add the cream cheese and the taco seasoning and mix well.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture into a pan that is about 8X8 or a round pan that is similar in size.
- It also has to be heat resistant (oven proof).
- Add the chili on top of the cream cheese mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over top.
- Bake 350 degrees for 15 mins till the cheese is melted and it is bubbling around the edges.
- Take out of the oven and and your diced tomatoes and green onions.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
This dish can also be microwaved, but the cheese doesn't turn out nearly as nice.