Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable. Its incredible all the things you can do with it to create comforting and healthy dishes. This soup is no exception. Its potato soup reinvented. This version is low-carb, clean, and thoroughly satisfying.
Instead of pureed potato, we used pureed cauliflower. Not any mind blowing alteration, but awesome all the same. Now you can enjoy the same flavors as your favorite potato soup while still maintaining your healthy eating resolve.
We love how hearty this soup is. Loads of crisp carrots and celery, a good amount of salty smoked ham and a few bites of soft potatoes. I like my soup chunky and full. You can follow this recipe to a T or you can add as little or as much of the vegetables and ham as you like. Leave out the potatoes all together, if you like, or substitute with sweet potatoes or parsnips.
Its uncharacteristically warm here on the west coast still and we have clear skies and 12 degrees in the forecast for the next two weeks! But this morning when I went out on my deck, it was sure chilly. As soon as the sun goes down, so does the temperature. Its definitely still soup weather.
Everything is growing in my garden right now. Yesterday I was out in my front garden ripping out some daisies that had got too massive for their spot and replacing them with some ever green flowering shrubs. As I was finishing up, I took a look around at all my other flower beds and got excited as I can see now what made it through the winter! I am especially excited about my Peony coming up. My Grandma Pat gave me one last year and it got one beautiful white and pink flower on it. This year I’m hoping for a bunch more.
I am a rookie at roses and I have two climbers in my back garden. One has taken two years to establish a root system and start growing. This is going to be its year I think. The other has grown like crazy and I have been meaning to cut it back but now it has new leaves all over and I’m not sure if I can cut it back still. Any gardeners out there?
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 6 - 8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 leek , sliced and washed
- 3 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 3 ribs celery , chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 yellow potatoes , washed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 300 g smoked ham chopped in small pieces
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- chopped and cooked bacon for garnish (optional)
- grated cheese for garnish (optional)
- Chop, core and wash the cauliflower well.
- Add the cauliflower florets to a big pot, add about 4 cups of the broth. Turn on the heat to medium-high, cover and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer till the cauliflower is tender. Puree the cauliflower well using an immersion blender or cool slightly and transfer to a blender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, in a separate pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the onions, leeks, carrots and celery. Cook for a few mins until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for another few mins.
- Transfer the veggies into the pot of pureed cauliflower and broth. Add the rest of the broth until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
- Add the chopped potatoes and ham and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve!
- Top with shredded cheese and crispy bacon if desired.