Sometimes the best dishes are created on the fly. On the weekend we woke up hungry and I didnt have anything planned for breakfast so I started rummaging through my fridge and the pantry. Potatoes are always a good start… Then I had eggs, onions, garlic, peppers, found some leftover ham in the freezer and some cheese in the fridge. So I get to work and this is what happens in my pan. A breakfast potato and ham hash with peppers. Couple over easy eggs on top and voila, breakfast is done.
Kevin and Dallen gobbled it up so it must have been good!
I love making dishes like this because for one, they are so good! For two, its mostly done in one pan so theres very little clean up. And three, the ingredients are staples in most pantrys and fridges so they are almost always on hand. You dont really need to think ahead much. Unless your are planning to make this for a crowd.
We are having Christmas at our house this year and some of Kevins family are coming to stay with us for a few days so Im starting to think of what we will have for breakfasts and dinner each day. This one is on the list for breakfast one day for sure. Im sure Lisa, Kevins sister, and I will be doing most (or all) of the cooking, so meals like this that are easy and quick are going to be perfect.
Im thinking this would be a perfect Boxing day breakfast. Our family likes to indulge a little in Christmas cheer on Christmas day so a hearty but healthy breakfast is what we will need the next day. Not to mention easy to make.
It is healthy but doesnt necessarily taste like it. The crispy potatoes and salty ham and especially the cheese that gets melted underneath the egg(s) and turns all gooey and yummy. You can put a little or a lot of cheese, depending on what each person likes. It will surely hit the spot after having a few Hot Buttered Rum’s or Mulled Apple Cider Sangria on Christmas Day.
Simple Breakfast Potato and Ham Hash with an Egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 - 10 baby potatoes , diced
- 1/2 cup of cubed ham , diced
- 1/2 - 1 red pepper (or any color pepper), diced
- salt and pepper to taste (a good pinch or two)
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp shredded parmesan
- 2 - 4 large free-range eggs
- cooking spray or a bit more olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add onions to the pan and saute for a couple mins before adding the diced potatoes. Then add the cubed ham, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic and onion powder. Cook for 8 - 10 mins till potatoes start to get soft. Stirring often.
- Add the red pepper and cook for another min or two.
- In the meantime, heat another non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray or sprinkle a little olive oil in. When the pan is hot, crack the eggs one at a time and add them to the pan. After about 30 seconds of cooking, add a little water to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for another 30 seconds or until your egg is done how you like it.
- Remove from heat and split the hash up between two plates. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and top each bit of potato hash with an egg.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired and serve!