There are a lot of people who say that they don’t like Broccoli, and many of them that say they hate it. Hate is a strong word, by the way, especially to use for Broccoli…. But I have yet to meet anyone, Broccoli hater or no, that doesn’t like kale and broccoli salad. It has Bacon and Cheese in it! Need I say more?
This kale and broccoli salad may not be super healthy with Bacon and Cheese, but does the addition of Kale cancel them out? 😉 Ok maybe not, but it really is possible to make this salad very healthy and still very tasty. If that is your goal just omit the bacon and cheese. You could also add some other nuts like chopped pecans or walnuts instead and go easy on the dressing. I havent tried making a vinaigrette for this before instead of the mayo dressing, but that is a good idea. Im going to try it next time!
Im sure that the first time I ever had this kale and broccoli salad, Debbie made it. It was a long time ago and back then I wasn’t really much of a Broccoli fan, and I probably didn’t even know what Kale was, but I remember being shocked at how good it was. Since then, I have grown to love Broccoli and Kale and the health benefits that they offer.
When I make this kale and broccoli salad, I make a big bowl so I can just munch on it for a few days.
Broccoli and Kale Salad with Bacon and Cranberries
- 3 Heads of Broccoli
- 1 Head of Kale
- 1/2 cup Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 6 - 8 Bacon slices , cooked and crumbledDressing:
- 1/4 cup Light Mayo
- 2 - 3 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp Honey or Agave Nectar or Steivia
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat. Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook them in the skillet till they are crispy. Drain the bacon on some paper towel and set aside.
- Wash the Broccoli and Kale well. Chop into bite size pieces.
- In a small bowl mix the dressing ingredients and make sure to taste it. You may need to add a little more Vinegar to thin it out. Or a little water. It should be slightly runny so that it will be enough to coat all the veggies. Set aside.
- Put the Veggies into a large bowl, add the Shredded Cheese, Cranberries, Sunflower Seeds and Bacon. Mix them together. Pour the dressing on top and toss it well.
- Dish it out and eat your Broccoli!