Homemade eggnog with rum and kahlua tastes so different, and way better, from store bought eggnog. It’s light, silky and not too sweet with wonderful Christmas spices, vanilla and a generous helping of rum and kahlua to get you in the Christmas spirit. Make this homemade eggnog your new family tradition!We have a confession to make… Neither Debbie or I really like store bought eggnog. For us both, its just too thick and too sweet. However, rum and eggnog is Kevin’s favorite Christmas cocktail and we know that there are lots of other eggnog lovers out there so we thought we would play around with it and post a version that we liked. Or at least one that Kevin liked… As we were talking about it, Debbie remembered that her dad, Peter, used to make homemade eggnog with rum every year when she was growing up. Peter was a Aero Technican in the Canadian Forces so he fixed planes and taught others to fix them as well. When Debbie was little, they lived on a military base in Cold Lake, Alberta for about 6 or 7 years and this is where she remembers her dad making homemade eggnog with rum the most. She recalls that he loved the stuff and always had a cup of eggnog in his hand at Christmas. Back then, it was tradition for people to go house to house on Christmas Eve and in their house, the homemade eggnog was always placed in the middle of the coffee table with appies all around the bowl, ready for when people came by. Peter passed away many years ago now… He was a quiet man, but he had a great sense of humor and he is sure missed! So needless to say, when she found his homemade eggnog recipe we knew we had to make it. I wont say that its an easy recipe. The individual parts of it are easy, but there’s sure a lot of mixing ingredients separately and then finally mixing the three parts together in the end. That said, its sure worth the effort! As I mentioned, Debbie and I both don’t really care for eggnog, but this homemade eggnog is light and fluffy and not too sweet. Its lightly spiced and really very very good! I couldn’t believe how much I liked it! And Debbie liked it too. Just goes to show, homemade is always better! It’s not a diet friendly cocktail, but I can handle one or two of these a year! Maybe three…. but who’s counting 🙂 The vanilla bean, cinnamon, and Kahlua are our extra additions to Peters master recipe. We just figured we would kick it up a notch, like we often do. 🙂 I’m sure Peter would approve… Enjoy! And let us know how you like it if you give this homemade eggnog with rum and kahlua a try. We would love to hear from you!
Other Holiday Cocktails You Might Enjoy
- holiday apple cider moscow mule
- apple chai whiskey sour
- holiday cranberry mimosa
- hot buttered rum with apple cider
- 6 eggs separated into whites and yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups half and half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup kahlua
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Add the egg whites to a mixer. Beat the egg whites until frothy, gradually add in 1/3 cup of the sugar and beat till stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl beat whipping cream till stiff peaks form.
- In yet another bowl beat the egg yolks, add the remaining sugar and beat some more. Add the milk, light cream, rum and Kahlua. Mix well but gently. Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the sticky seeds into the mixture. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir again.
- Pour all the ingredients into one big bowl or the bowl you’re going to serve the eggnog.
- Gently fold the egg whites and whipping cream into the eggnog and mix thoroughly but very gently. A whisk helps.
- Chill and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon when you serve it.